First shots with Sigma 105mm

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I took delivery of a Sigma 105mm + 1.4 teleconverter. Here are some of the better ones. Feedback welcome.

Also IDs required please

One

DSC_8548.JPG

Two

DSC_8575.JPG

Three

DSC_8621.JPG

Four

DSC_8625.JPG

I think your just missing the focus points on these, sorry can't help with ID's.

I think your just missing the focus points on these, sorry can't help with ID's.

Yeah it was particularly windy, which resulted in a lot of blurry images but despite the conditions, I am pleased with the ones that made the cut. Thanks for feedback - always appreciated

A couple more

Five

DSC_8650.JPG

Six

DSC_8669.JPG

Any better focus wise?

And what is the red thing?

I think your 2 main problems are the focus needs to be on the eyes then anything else that goes soft with DOF isn't so bad but I think you need to open up apature slightly to get just a little less DOF so the whole of the insect is in focus. I'm not a Macro expert but prefer the whole of the subject in focus.

I think your 2 main problems are the focus needs to be on the eyes then anything else that goes soft with DOF isn't so bad but I think you need to open up apature slightly to get just a little less DOF so the whole of the insect is in focus. I'm not a Macro expert but prefer the whole of the subject in focus.

Thanks for the advice, I generally used F9 with a fast shutter speed. Not sure if that is the desired settings but I will experiment with these on my next outing. The wind was a killer at times though I cant say for sure if that played a part in the out of focus bodies.

However, it does seem to be an issue with many other peoples macro shots where as you say, the eyes are captured well but the rest is slightly out of focus. Practise continues:)

I think your 2 main problems are the focus needs to be on the eyes then anything else that goes soft with DOF isn't so bad but I think you need to open up apature slightly to get just a little less DOF so the whole of the insect is in focus.

I think you have this wrong Paul, less DOF won't get the whole of the insect in focus, you need more DOF by closing down the aperture.

Papaskin, you just need to practice a bit and try and get parallel with your subject to maximise DOF, to start with anyway.

I think you have this wrong Paul, less DOF won't get the whole of the insect in focus, you need more DOF by closing down the aperture.

Papaskin, you just need to practice a bit and try and get parallel with your subject to maximise DOF, to start with anyway.

Thanks again for the feedback. This was my first outing with a new lens in windy conditions. I am delighted with what I obtained but realise their is a lot of room for improvement, which is why I am here.

cheers

Well as I say I'm not a macro expert, something I might try one day though :cool: And I meant more DOF not less ........... lol, sorry to be confusing.

Last edited:
I find that using Manual Mode, f11, 1/250, ISO 200 and flash on works best with my Sigma 105. Preferably with off camera flash, but it still works well with onboard flash.

Thanks - I will play around with the settings and hopefully get better with practise.

Many thanks

I find that using Manual Mode, f11, 1/250, ISO 200 and flash on works best with my Sigma 105. Preferably with off camera flash, but it still works well with onboard flash.

I was just about to say the exact same thing (y)

Though my flash settings are 1/125th sec- still use f11 or f14- focus should always be on the eyes of any insects

Good 1st effort though- the Sigma 105mm is a cracking lens

Les :D

I was just about to say the exact same thing (y)

Though my flash settings are 1/125th sec- still use f11 or f14- focus should always be on the eyes of any insects

Good 1st effort though- the Sigma 105mm is a cracking lens

Les :D

Everything you guys say is being taken on board.

Here are the latest two although the wind is still playing havoc. Changed aperture and used external flash.

I was also hindered by a fence. In first one I am two feet away from subject and next one three feet, so a lot of cropping:)

DSC_8690.JPG

DSC_8694.JPG

Your focus is still out on them. The fly in the last too for example the eye's don't have focus - it's more on the legs.

I could also point out that if they're far away - they're not really macro...ahem!

As for Id's

1. Green Weevil - Phyllobius
2. Looks to be some sort of hover fly.
3. A bluebottle
4. Looks to be a type of shield bug.
5. A fly - unsure.
6. Soldier Beetle.

This is a useful quick ID site. http://www.gardensafari.net

Your focus is still out on them. The fly in the last too for example the eye's don't have focus - it's more on the legs.

I could also point out that if they're far away - they're not really macro...ahem!

As for Id's

1. Green Weevil - Phyllobius
2. Looks to be some sort of hover fly.
3. A bluebottle
4. Looks to be a type of shield bug.
5. A fly - unsure.
6. Soldier Beetle.

This is a useful quick ID site. http://www.gardensafari.net

Thanks for the identities and link.

Ahem indeed! :LOL:

OK how about this one?

Still windy and conditions dull but I think I am making progress.

DSC_8754.JPG

Thanks for looking

Oh yes! Vast improvement. It really does get better with practice. Now you've achieved this, think about composition. The biggest improvement I made was trying to imagine I was doing a portrait and trying to capture the "character" of the critter. Now, if I can't get down to it's level, I leave it.

Keep going.

Oh yes! Vast improvement. It really does get better with practice. Now you've achieved this, think about composition. The biggest improvement I made was trying to imagine I was doing a portrait and trying to capture the "character" of the critter. Now, if I can't get down to it's level, I leave it.

Keep going.

Thank you for positive feedback at last. I was losing the will to live:)

At present, I believe I need to concentrate on focusing on the bugs, so that I can improve on the basics, so taking hundreds of poorly composed images may continue for a while yet - just to get sharp ones.

Being 50, and easy to see, getting down low is a major inconvenience lol.

Many thanks

Thank you for positive feedback at last. I was losing the will to live:)

At present, I believe I need to concentrate on focusing on the bugs, so that I can improve on the basics, so taking hundreds of poorly composed images may continue for a while yet - just to get sharp ones.

Being 50, and easy to see, getting down low is a major inconvenience lol.

Many thanks

You're very welcome.

Oh, and I'm 53. I can recommend some stretching exercises if you're up for it.;)

Edit: Sorry, I just twigged what "easy to see" means. Apologies.

Last edited:
You're very welcome.

Oh, and I'm 53. I can recommend some stretching exercises if you're up for it.;)

Edit: Sorry, I just twigged what "easy to see" means. Apologies.

LOL - I am not that big. a mere 16 stone of relaxed muscle

Getting better.

Don't be afraid of taking lots of images. Many will be binned. It's all about practice really. Getting used to taking bug shots, takes time. A lot is in how you approach them ( and if they're doing something else it can help).

Avoid passing your shadow over them. Approach slowly, and if possible not from above ( that's a predator position for most of them. ). Also when you've got close - move the camera slowly - don't move that fast in your excitement of getting one close and still there!

Back