Beginner First speedlite?

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
I have a Canon 650D and I would like to buy a speedlite (on a budget!). It will mainly be for some indoor corporate type shots and for snaps of my kids etc...

I have read a bit about Yongnuo (specifically the 565ex ii), my question is are they still considered a good 'budget', entry level speedlite to buy? A lot of the reviews and recommendations are a few years old now so I just want to be assured that there is nothing better (for that price range)?

I will definitely want TTL as (for now) the prospect of having to 'think' settings through and configuring them manually is not appealing (apologies to any purists out there).

Any and all advice and guidance, about Yongnuo or other brands greatly appreciated.

i have a couple of yongnuos, one being the 468 ll which is TTL.
costs about £40 new when i got it. looks like the 565ex has higher guide number and costs around £60.
also looks like it has Off camera TTL mode ( missing from the 486 which is only ttl via hotshoe
other than that only thing i would say is make sur eyou get a couple of sets of sanyo Eneloop batteries for whatever speedlight you get.

Last edited:
i have a couple of yongnuos, one being the 468 ll which is TTL.
costs about £40 new when i got it. looks like the 565ex has higher guide number and costs around £60.
other than that only thing i would say is make sur eyou get a couple of sets of sanyo Eneloop batteries for whatever speedlight you get.
:plus1:
I also have a YONGNUO macro unit, very good quality.

The 565 is a decent speedlight.

But the idea that it'll do 'corporate type shots' on camera is ridiculous.

Buy the flashgun from Amazon and 'The Speedlighters Handbook' by Syl Arena while you're there

The 565 is a decent speedlight.

But the idea that it'll do 'corporate type shots' on camera is ridiculous.

Buy the flashgun from Amazon and 'The Speedlighters Handbook' by Syl Arena while you're there

why would it be on camera. the 565 can be shot ETTL off camera and the op didnt state anything about on camera.
with wireless trigger you could use the 565 and ettl.

why would it be on camera. the 565 can be shot ETTL off camera and the op didnt state anything about on camera.
Because the OP never said he wanted triggers too? Because the OP clearly shows a complete lack of understanding about what a flash will do (he doesn't want to have to 'think settings through') I'm quite good at picking up understanding from the clues.

with wireless trigger you could use the 565 and ettl.
And if he'd said he wanted advice about triggers, I'd have given that too.

Have you read 'The speedlighters Handbook', I recommend it to anyone new to flashguns, it'll cut the learning time by a factor of 10?

ahh but thats forums for ya Phil, sometimes people dont always say what they mean ;)

I think it's safe to assume when someone wants a 'first speedlight' and that 'the prospect of having to 'think' settings through and configuring them manually is not appealing' and they want to shoot 'some indoor corporate type shots', they need the book more than they need a flashgun, and it never occurred to them that they'd need to take the flash off camera to get the results they're imagining. It doesn't take a mastermind to work out, the clues were all in the question.;)

Thanks for the comments and advice folks, much appreciated.

Apologies for not being clearer around my budget (as cheap as possible!) and my shooting intentions in my OP. Given the "dressing down" from Phil V I also feel like I should probably apologise for conveying a complete lack of understanding about what a flash will do :oops: :$ :D

I openly admit to being a complete newb with regards to flash, hence why I posted this in the Beginners section ;). When I said "indoor corporate type shots" what I meant was that I will be taking some shots of my work colleagues at a forthcoming event and am wary that without having a speedlite to bounce off the ceiling/walls, many of the shots may well end up looking rather lifeless and drab. At the same time, I appreciate that the addition of a speedlite to my kit will enable me to do a lot more in terms of off camera flash, as well as get some better shots of my kids at parties etc... when the need occurs.

This post was not about seeking advice for how to use flash (on or off camera), but I certainly appreciate the link to the handbook Phil. I realise I have plenty of reading to do in terms of technique (y)

Thanks for the comments and advice folks, much appreciated.

Apologies for not being clearer around my budget (as cheap as possible!) and my shooting intentions in my OP. Given the "dressing down" from Phil V I also feel like I should probably apologise for conveying a complete lack of understanding about what a flash will do :oops: :$ :D

I openly admit to being a complete newb with regards to flash, hence why I posted this in the Beginners section ;). When I said "indoor corporate type shots" what I meant was that I will be taking some shots of my work colleagues at a forthcoming event and am wary that without having a speedlite to bounce off the ceiling/walls, many of the shots may well end up looking rather lifeless and drab. At the same time, I appreciate that the addition of a speedlite to my kit will enable me to do a lot more in terms of off camera flash, as well as get some better shots of my kids at parties etc... when the need occurs.

This post was not about seeking advice for how to use flash (on or off camera), but I certainly appreciate the link to the handbook Phil. I realise I have plenty of reading to do in terms of technique (y)
It's not a dressing down, but buy the book, seriously it's the best advice you'll ever get ;).

I'd shoot your colleague in windowlight, provided you have enough knowledge to know how to make the best of it, it's easy and WYSIWYG (speedlights aren't*). Have you got a reflector? Cheap 5in1's are a necessity

*I'll go further - people who can create magic with speedlights almost certainly learnt by using studio lights, they're a much quicker learning tool.

Further still - people who are brilliant at manipulating Natural light almost always have experience of manipulating flash too, they're a much better learning tool.

Cheers Phil, I was only joking about the dressing down :)

I intend to make as much use of window/natural light as possible (no reflector, or assistant!), which shouldn't be an issue for most of the sessions I am covering. They will largely be group sessions, the brief is to capture the interactions and some shots of the promotional materials being showcased on the day, along with the obligatory shots of the CEO launching the day etc...

Anywho, back to the initial point of the thread - I think I will pick up a 565 (and the book!), they sound like sensible places to start. Thanks again to all contributors (y)

I'll back Phil's advice. Syl Arena's book was the most useful book I've ever read in terms of photography. He's got some youtube videos on the B&H channel I think (or was it Adorama?) that give a brief overview so you know what to expect from the book.

Thanks @omens , I took a look on YouTube after your suggestion and found a couple of really good 'beginner' videos (on the B&H channel as you said). They have assured me that the book is a must, and that I quite like Mr Arena's style of presenting/teaching.

Cheers

Back