First Star Trail

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
So I love coming in here and looking at all the fantastic photos, and its something I’ve wanted to try for ages however I’ve never had the time or the environment (Teesside doesn’t have the darkest sky). Anyhow, I was on holiday in St Ives last week so decided to have a bash at a star trail, things didn’t go totally to plan and for some unexplained reason my D7000 decided to stop after 100 frames, any ideas? Regardless I’m pretty please with the end result, the composition might not be the most exciting (it’s the view from the balcony of the apartment I was staying in) but over all I’m happy.

Any constructive crit would be much appreciated. Incidentally I used StarTraX to put the shot together.

Star Trail 1 by Tunbridge Wells, on Flickr

Thanks, just wish it hadn't stopped as I was planning on letting it run for 3 hrs. The thing is that the battery was still charged and the memory card still had plenty of capacity. It's done this to me twice now!

There is a 100 shot limit on the d7000 and there is no way in camera to overide this. If you are using a remote release then just turn it off and then back on again in the middle of an exposure and this will enable as many frames as you'd like. You just have to remember to do this before it gets to the 100 shot limit. A intravalometer will let you program as many frames as you like but you have to have a 2 second delay between the frames. The d7000 has a built in intravalometer.

There is a 100 shot limit on the d7000 and there is no way in camera to overide this. If you are using a remote release then just turn it off and then back on again in the middle of an exposure and this will enable as many frames as you'd like. You just have to remember to do this before it gets to the 100 shot limit. A intravalometer will let you program as many frames as you like but you have to have a 2 second delay between the frames. The d7000 has a built in intravalometer.
Thanks! That would explain the problem as I didn't know that. Is there any reason to have a 100 shot limit?

Fantastic first attempt and I bet you're very pleased with it, as you should be.

If I were to offer any crit on this, it would be maybe get one of the single images and overlay it as a new layer and then rub out parts of the image so the building became darker and the stars remained there as the building is a bit distracting - but its better than what I can produce so ignore me if you wish :)

Fantastic first attempt and I bet you're very pleased with it, as you should be.

If I were to offer any crit on this, it would be maybe get one of the single images and overlay it as a new layer and then rub out parts of the image so the building became darker and the stars remained there as the building is a bit distracting - but its better than what I can produce so ignore me if you wish :)

Cheers, I was really pleased with it. I've not really done much PP with it really so I might have a go. The shots were JPEG straight from the camera then stacked. I might load it back into Lightroom and have a play.

Back