First street shot...

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Not sure if this would constitute 'street photography', but I did find the alley off the main street. Feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

The Alley by teambeecham, on Flickr

Mike, I apologise but IMO it's not grabbed my interest. I can see the potential with what I'm guessing is the evening light, but the drainpipes and that coke can are quite distracting, which is a shame because the wooden doorway in the wall near the light has distinct promise. The rendered wall clashes with the brick walls and the resulting exposure leaves the damp dark pavement with little detail.

I think urban landscape can work well but the price you have paid for that nicely lit area was too high, leaving a very dismal area. I wonder if a black and white treatment might be more sympathetic to this image? Did you take a shot from the other side of the lane. It might make quite a difference.

Again apologies for not loving it :bat:

Last edited:
Mate, I REALLY appreciate the feedback, and last time I checked this wasn't the 'like my shot' section, but the feedback and critique section.

I'm only starting out, so ANY feedback good or bad will help me improve. I just thank you for taking the time to reply.

Cheers mate

I have to say, there's something about it that I like... Keep going back to it. One thing though, it could do with a wee bit of straightening... Get your verticals vertical, your horizontals horizontal, or as much you can. That would be my two cents...

Again though, something about it that I like... :)

I like it and I think the coke can adds to it.
Like the previous post I think it could do with straightening out.

I think it would be interesting to experiment with partial desaturation, ie. convert it to black and white except for the coke can.

All in all though I think it's an interesting urban landscape shot rather than street photography, which for me is about people.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Interesting that you all mention the straightening...I actually took it straight but rotated it a little because I though it would make for a more interesting picture...

It's all a learning curve!

The off-kilter angle of the shot's not really "floating my boat", but I doo like the general tone, and it's lovely and sharp. Was the coke can rolling? I feel like it should be rolling.

Mike, I like it as is. The main comment that i would offer is that the large patch of bright light on the wall (upper left) is a bit of a distraction for my eye.

Back