First Studio shoot - Tattoos

Edit My Images
Yes
My first studio shoot with a real person! My last was just with a mannequin! :LOL:

Just two photos for now, I will add some more later! For some reason, they don't seem to want to upload!! :(

Hope you like! :)

Back1650.jpg

hands1650.jpg

:)

i want to view and reply because ive got a shoot with my tattoo studio but i cant see the pic on the work computer :D

Avidly waiting to have a look when i get home

78 views and no replys? :(

Don't you just hate it when that happens! :)

Very stylish first attempt I reckon... and that's some tat he's got there! Reminds me of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery for some reason. :thinking:

I'd be tempted to centre the figure in 1 and maybe just bring out a little more of the lost detail on his RHS.

Interesting shots!

They look pretty damn good to me! Maybe a tad more contrast? Apart from that, great job.

hmmm i like them but the harsh shadows on the right side are a little annoying, would have been good to get an even exposure aross the back

I like the shadows in the 1st shot, adds some depth imo.
However, its the crop that doesnt work for me .. cut across the elbow and above the buttocks mid-tattoo, it doesnt seem to sit right right to my eye.
Jmo, of course. :)

these are some good shots but could possibly do with some backlighting from behind the model towards the camera to define the outline also if you're taking shots of tattoos, hand cream, vaseline, massage oil or baby oil can bring out the definition especially in older tattoos.

hand cream being the less definitive upto baby oil as the most contrasty :)

this is all dependent on the look you're going for though obviously, generally they're nice but for me the light is a little harsh on the left hand side of the body shot

good start though and definately not bad shots :D

Last edited:
I did read in a book on photographing people that we tend to find it disconcerting if a crop is made at a joint. Perhaps that is what troubles you Glo? It's through the elbows. Perhaps a slightly longer portrait would have worked better but then there is the slight problem of bum bits! :)

A little more light ont he right would also improve things a lot, just a reflector should be able to do the job.

I have to say though, not half bad for a first go!

Thanks for all the replys, guys! :)

Just in response to a couple of points raised:

Firstly:

Without getting too arty farty and pretentious, the photoshoot was an attempt to make the human body the main focus of the shoot. I wanted to incorporate the tattoo, but not make it the sole point of focus. Alot of tattoo photography is quite harsh and I wanted to step away from that - To make the tattoo become part of the body, but make the contours and sculpture of the body the main focus.

Are you still following!? Lol. My basic idea was that tattoos are part of the person's body and can be beautiful and sensitive without being threatening?

Secondly:

The shot has been cut off at the head and the elbows. Whilst it may seem uncomfortable, this was due to the model and what they wanted photographed. As stated, I wanted it to be sensitive and in order to do that, I wanted to the model to have the input on what specific tattoos were included (It just makes it a more personal approach I think?).

The model didn't want any of his face, but also didn't want any of his legs. (His legs aren't completed and he doesn't want to show them until they are).

I appreciate that the photos are dark and I take into account the contrast, so thank you ever-so for the contributions.

However, I did want them to be this sculptural :)

Perhaps it would have been wise to explain your thinking prior to moaning that no one was leaving comments! It never looks good when you ask for replies and then disagree with comments stating you meant it to be a certain way in the first place.

Well, no - It's not how I intended! As I said, I did want to get more posted and was going to add more to it, but for some reason they wouldn't upload!

And I've not disagreed with any comments? They're all very much appreciated, as I said ... ?

The "moan" was merely a comment. I appreciate that maybe I should have put the explaination at the beginning, but I just thought that out of 78 views, there might have been a reaction from someone?

No harm in a shameless 'bump' of your own topic though, surely? ;)

No worries mate, my bad probably.

Just one of my pet hates is people pestering for comments and then they disagree with everything negative and just say "well I meant it to be like that so nerrr!".

Back