First tests of 500 f/4 L IS

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, collected my new 500 yesterday and waved good bye to the 400. It's a very different beast and will take some getting used to. I plan to head of to Wicken Fen early tomorrow morning to try and put it through it's paces properly but thought I would try a few in the back garden this afternoon.

Straight 500mm

ME9Q9058-2.jpg

With the 1.4x converter

ME9Q9077-2.jpg

ME9Q9085-2.jpg

Didn't realise that with the 2x converter it would almost be useful as a long range macro to get picks of damsel flies (the garden was heaving with them today)

ME9Q9092-2.jpg

ME9Q9099-2.jpg

ME9Q9107-2.jpg

And back to the 1.4x for some portraits of Frazzle - a key requirement for testing any new kit.

ME9Q9179-2.jpg

ME9Q9258-2.jpg

It looks like it's going to be a corker of a lens but that extra 100mm over the 400DO means an extra 2kg so I'm going to need to do a bit more practicing to get used to it.

Paul

Congratulations! :clap:

These lenses do take a bit of getting used to and a gimbal head is pretty well mandatory to get the best out of them.

Very nice shall I ask the dangerous question and ask how much? since I know the L series are expensive but L with IS..

Very nice shall I ask the dangerous question and ask how much? since I know the L series are expensive but L with IS..

Anywhere from around just over £4K upwards if sourced in the UK.

Congrats on the new arrival!
stork-boy.gif

Looks like you are off to a cracking start with it
thumbsup4kk.gif

Congrats (y)

It is a cracking lens probably the best bit of kit i have bought.

Thanks guys.

CT, I already used a Wimberley Sidekick with my old 400 f/4, so I've kept that and just upgraded to a beefier ballhead (Kirk BH-1). I'm sure it'll take me a bit of time to get used to but I've got 3 months before I head back to Kenya (the main reason to buy it).

Mine was £4049 from AJ Purdy but they gave me £2k part-ex for the 400DO, which helped.

That's a great price for a 500L sourced in the UK!

Back