First time at M6 pass, Tebay

Name
And
Edit My Images
No
I eventually managed to get up to the Mast at Tebay yesterday, for my first ever Low Flying photography, thanks very much to Neil and Bill for their advice.

First shot posted, what do you think?

IMG_0006.jpg

Can you see the aircraft, have you looked closely enough?

No, well neither did I, NOT a thing, NOT a bloody sausage, NOT one, the miserable buggers wouldn't come out to play. The only thing I caught was sunburn :LOL:

Was there all day, lovely weather, great spot, great views just no planes :crying:

Anyway, later in the day there was a storm brewing on the other side of the valley, so I tried to get a lightening bolt and failed that aswell :bang:

Then the weather turned and it came onto us, so had the bright thought of I'd try again, as when we got back up to the top of the hill next to the mast, it was flashing like mad over on Kendal - soon changed my mind when a bolt hit the mast as I was near it - never felt the heat from a strike before, never felt the ground shake, never heard the bang so quick and so loud, never run down a hill so bloody fast either :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Anyway, not to be beaten, I'm going to try again shortly (y)

I know how ya feel! i had exactly the same one day on cad west!!

I thought I could see one then I noticed it was a spec on the screen:D better luck next time,

Haha, oh I was in the thick of that storm, curled up with my Westie under the bed for nearly 2 hours, bless her, she was sick with fear, it was a big one alright and bet it looked quite impressive, sustained Lightening here, never seen the flashes last so long !

I know how ya feel! i had exactly the same one day on cad west!!

The joys of Low Level photography... wish I had a pound for all the days I have sat in freezing cold and rain storms and not seen a thing

look on the bright side when the day finaly comes when you get some good movements todays trip will be a distant memory
cheers Chris

I thought I could see one then I noticed it was a spec on the screen:D better luck next time,

Thanks, hopefully much better luck next time, at least the weather was nice (for most of the time), (y)

Next time eh! :D (And I mean the planes, not the lighting strike ;))

Fingers crossed, got far too close for comfort though :LOL:

Oh dear, gutted.
Sounds like the storm was fun though (y)

Haha, oh I was in the thick of that storm, curled up with my Westie under the bed for nearly 2 hours, bless her, she was sick with fear, it was a big one alright and bet it looked quite impressive, sustained Lightening here, never seen the flashes last so long !

Yes was very impressive indeed, would have been great to get some photos. Was surprised when we got back to the top of the hill was to see it all happening over Kendal when we were sat the other side, quite unaware of it!

Wasn't so impressed when it was over my head though :shake:

Unlucky mate, just shows how much like fishing it really is, somedays they bite, others not - keep at it you will have your day (y).

Unlucky mate, just shows how much like fishing it really is, somedays they bite, others not - keep at it you will have your day (y).

Cheers, I know it's one of those things, but looking forward to when I do get some :clap:

Looks like you had a fantastic day yesterday :razz:

oh unlucky! im hoping this wont happen to me and my mate when we go up for the fist time :(

do they have sockets up there? i might take a tv :D

:LOL: wish I'd thought of that, take a very long extension lead and send your mate into the Mast area to see if he can find a power supply :LOL:

Despite not getting a thing, still had a very nice day (y)

yeh, at least it wasnt raining.

we're probably going to go for a weekend. stay in a B&B hopefully. and take a tent to the hill in case it rains ;)

I would seriously suggest "weekdays" as they don't fly Sat/Sun (y).

Hi Andy this game isn't easy mate the images are hard won believe me. Nice pic there though they don't come from that direction they fly South to North through the pass where you are looking there towards the North end of the pass where the quarry is on the left is where I sometimes go it is called Jeffreys Mount.

The weather was dodgy Monday let us know when you are thinking of going again (I hope).

Cheers
Bill

Bad luck Andy..
Usually the Tucanos dont let you down at the mast.. But I think the storms might have had something to do with it.. I believe the East side of the country was worse, so that could have been the reason?
Hopefully I'll see you out soon

Hi Andy this game isn't easy mate the images are hard won believe me. Nice pic there though they don't come from that direction they fly South to North through the pass where you are looking there towards the North end of the pass where the quarry is on the left is where I sometimes go it is called Jeffreys Mount.

The weather was dodgy Monday let us know when you are thinking of going again (I hope).

Cheers
Bill

Cheers Bill

Will do (y)

Bad luck Andy..
Usually the Tucanos dont let you down at the mast.. But I think the storms might have had something to do with it.. I believe the East side of the country was worse, so that could have been the reason?
Hopefully I'll see you out soon

Hi Neil

Yes, began to think the same when I'd heard what the weather had been like and what we got caught in.

Will get one soon (well, hopefully more than 1), speak to you soon

Andy

Oh the joys of low level! Wait until you get snow storms, gales, rain and sit in the clouds and then glorious sunshine all within 5hrs!
Then the first one to come along shows you his belly. :LOL::LOL:
And what do we do? We go back for more! And more and more....:bonk::woot:

Kev.

Anyone fancy a trip up to the M6 Pass the last week of this month. I want to try some low level for the first time but would rather go with a few others. would be good to meet some more people off here aswell

Brilliant post - sums it all up :)

Good job the mast was there - else the only other conducting material on the top of hill could have been your camera !

I was there today with a similar view but from the other side of the valley.
Here is 1 from last week taken from the mast.
Tebay1420Reds0254.jpg

I was there today with a similar view but from the other side of the valley.
Here is 1 from last week taken from the mast.
Tebay1420Reds0254.jpg

And 1 a few seconds before.

Tebay1420Reds0233.jpg

I got lucky that day.
Rick

Last edited:
Back