Captive First time out with the a1

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
My A1 arrived about a month ago and I've hardly had time to use but I'm impressed. Coming from the original a9 I love the increase resolution and the auto focus is crazy fast and accurate.
Images of the Seal below were not pre-focused, and drive mode was set to medium.
seal 4.jpgDSC04386.jpg

Cracking detail in #1 especially.

It certainly looks like it can keep up with the fast action and you have timed those very well.

I am right on the edge of buying an A1. I already have what I need with an A9 and A9 ii for sports and dog photos and an A7R IV when the image is more static. They all work brilliantly for what I use them for but an A9 ii and an A1 is where I want to end up. the ability to have the resolution and the speed would definitely come in handy and although I shoot a couple of thousand images at a rugby match I only keep 50ish so storage isn't an issue.

looks forward to how you find the A1 against the A9 in terms of focus speed, high iso and general use.

I loved my a9. The only thing I wanted it to have was more resolution, (so long as it wasn't at the cost of speed), and a fully articulating rear screen.
Not really sure why the screen is important to me as I hardly ever use the blooming thing. Just always felt a little cheated that a modern high end camera didn't have it but my trusty old Canon 60d did.

Not sure how they compare directly as my a9 went a few months before the a1 arrived. My gut says the a1 feels are 50% faster and is 40% more accurate, (read keepers).
In fact, I don't think it has missed focus yet. Don't get me wrong I have had blurry images, but these were user error, camera shake/wrong shutter speed etc.

The main thing for me is the increase in resolution. The a1 is the highest res camera I've ever owned or used. It reminded me of going from dial-up to broadband, for those old enough to remember those days. The feeling of... "ah so this is what using the internet is meant to be like" And the increased res cost nothing speed was, quite the opposite.

But for £6.5k I still expected an articulating screen! (that I don't use anyway) :)

High ISO, I'll have to get back to you as I've had to push the ISO at all yet. Still not had much chance to get out with my camera which is getting annoying.

I loved my a9. The only thing I wanted it to have was more resolution, (so long as it wasn't at the cost of speed), and a fully articulating rear screen.
Not really sure why the screen is important to me as I hardly ever use the blooming thing. Just always felt a little cheated that a modern high end camera didn't have it but my trusty old Canon 60d did.

Not sure how they compare directly as my a9 went a few months before the a1 arrived. My gut says the a1 feels are 50% faster and is 40% more accurate, (read keepers).
In fact, I don't think it has missed focus yet. Don't get me wrong I have had blurry images, but these were user error, camera shake/wrong shutter speed etc.

The main thing for me is the increase in resolution. The a1 is the highest res camera I've ever owned or used. It reminded me of going from dial-up to broadband, for those old enough to remember those days. The feeling of... "ah so this is what using the internet is meant to be like" And the increased res cost nothing speed was, quite the opposite.

But for £6.5k I still expected an articulating screen! (that I don't use anyway) :)

High ISO, I'll have to get back to you as I've had to push the ISO at all yet. Still not had much chance to get out with my camera which is getting annoying.
Glad to hear you are clearly impressed by the A1. I had D850s and now an A7R Iv for the lack of resolution in the A9/A9ii was hard for me to get used to. That being said for action shots it hasn't really bothered me. Look forward to reading more about your experiences with the A1.

Back