Critique First Time Shooting Basketball

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
I shoot ice hockey for the local press regularly but they asked me to attend tonight's Sheffield Sharks v Worcester Wolves BBL game to get some shots for them. It was my first time shooting basketball so thought I would put a few shots up here. Critique welcome.

Last edited:
Personally i think they are excellent..great action shots..

So much better than my attempts, can I ask what settings you used? Thanks

Personally i think they are excellent..great action shots..

Very kind - thank you.

So much better than my attempts, can I ask what settings you used? Thanks

I shot manual exposure - f3.2, 1/500th, ISO3200, custom white balance. I arrived early and had a bit of an experiment during warmup, including aperture priority, but found the manual exposure with those settings to be the best. The club photographer also said he shot manual with similar settings.

I think for a first time these are good. I'd like to have seen a full length shot of the basket shot but i think you are certainly on the right track. Other experiend basketball shooters will be along to offer more critique but i look forward to seeing your next outing.

Your absoloutly 100% NOT allowed to post BBL pictures without a watermark accross the middle of the pic... BBL is licenced and nobody should be photogrpahing it without a BBL licence and no posting is in the licence rules

However

Not many clubs give a monkeys about the licence and nobody much seems to care about posting rules... I ahd a licence for about 3 years and eventualy gave up... made a few bob here and there but that many people joining in and flikr is full of pics..... yet people like myself and certain other members on here who dont break the rule suffer for it :(

NOT having a pop steelerdan as your not floutinmg the rules or breaking your licence conditions because A you didnt know and B you probably dont have a licence.. thus proving my point.. its a mess...they need to either enforce the bbl licence or get rid of it... no point some of us doing it right and everyone else taking the P ... again NOT a pop..

PS also not allowed to sell BBL pics which is a daft rule :( to media yes.. but not allowed to sell prints :(

Thanks for all that KIPAX. For now, I think its best to remove the pictures - don't want to risk my new job before it even gets going...and I certainly don't want to risk any income for any other togs out there by posting my pictures up. I'm paid a flat fee from the local press for 5-10 pictures on game night so, other than sending there, had no intention of trying to sell any pictures. If nothing else, I don't want to take away any income from the official club tog.

Thanks for all that KIPAX. For now, I think its best to remove the pictures - don't want to risk my new job before it even gets going...and I certainly don't want to risk any income for any other togs out there by posting my pictures up. I'm paid a flat fee from the local press for 5-10 pictures on game night so, other than sending there, had no intention of trying to sell any pictures. If nothing else, I don't want to take away any income from the official club tog.

now I feel bad... wasnt suggesting you do that.. as i said.. hardly anyone cares.. I know the rules as I asked..i always go straight to the horses mouth :) but I havent seen anyone who really puts the rules into force....

I am a bit strict wiht myself regarding any photo licence as i dont want to risk losing them or risk being known as a photogrpaher who breaks rules.. so would prob do same as you.... But seriously... i dont think anyone really cares :)

ps rules may have changed since i asked.. doubtful though. I know someone on here who will know :)

No need to feel bad. I was borderline removing them anyway as I was a little nervous and your post helped me make the decision. Since your post i've also read more about the requirement to register with the BBL for media accreditation so have emailed them. I wasn't aware of this specifically so am grateful you came along. Like you, I always try to make sure I follow the rules and this is no exception.

When you say you know someone on here who will know.....is it someone who may be able to come along and post on this thread???

I think there was someone on here who was a regular BBL photographer, so they'd be a good contact. Can't recall the name though.

GooGaBu he is probably the biggest BBL photogrpaher around.. travels all over europe as well.. Only person i know making anything real out of the sport.. but he puts a lot in :)

Back