First time tlr user.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, just got a Lubitel tlr to have a mess around with.

My personal experience of film photography is limited to disposable cameras, so a real noob when it comes to film, but I do know about manual settings on cameras from DSLR use. Although, full manual settings are a lot to take in for a first time user.

What I wanted to know is more about 120 film…..

Any recommendations of types (manufactures) of film, places to buy, etc.

Also will somewhere like Snappy Snaps be able to process 120? Or does anyone have recommendations of places in Central London that process on the cheap?

Cheers
LB

SnappySnapa - probably not, but it depends on the franchise. I know my local one will take them in but sends them off to Peak Imaging.

Jessops - my local does 120 film dev only, not tried them yet. Don't know how much they charge.

A lot of local independents will do dev and scan for 120 film.

Fuji Pro 160S and Pro 400H seems to be very easy to find on the High Street. You'll probably find 120 film of some sort in SnappySnaps or Jessops quite easily. Lots of online sellers.

For buying film try 7dayshop.co.uk, they stock a lot of film types in 120 (though sadly no Ilford film anymore). You could try starting of with some Fuji Superia 400 or Reala 100.

For developing don't bother with Jessops as its the same as with their E-6 slide developing, they send the film off to an outside lab that will take at least three weeks, more likely four and the quality is questionable.
Try either Peak Imaging or Club 35 for developing, their both very high quality labs and do 120 in about a week at Club 35 and a in a few days at Peak Imaging. For black and white you could use Ilford Lab which give high quality processing and fantastic prints on proper black and white paper.

For developing don't bother with Jessops as its the same as with their E-6 slide developing, they send the film off to an outside lab that will take at least three weeks, more likely four and the quality is questionable.

Must vary between stores.. my local Jessops is assuring me they can turn around 120 film inside an hour. Maybe they just use faster pigeons? I'll report back when I next have a roll that needs developing.

Must vary between stores.. my local Jessops is assuring me they can turn around 120 film inside an hour. Maybe they just use faster pigeons? I'll report back when I next have a roll that needs developing.

That's interesting if they do a good job and the price is right....I tried Jessops (for 120) a few times about 8 years ago and both times they manage to mislay my negs/prints and had to find them for another extra wasted day or so.

Last edited:
Snappy Snaps vary from store to store, some will still develop in house others send them away.

As far as I can remember the branch in Fleet St send theirs away but the one near Spitalfields Market still process their own, at least they did last year.

My local snappy snaps ruined my 120 film when I took it in there and I had chemical splashes on my 35mm film when it was returned. That and the fact it was about £13 per 120 roll to get it developed and it took over a week. I only use peak now, much cheaper, quicker and better quality

If you can get to Wandsworth (London) these people are worth a try, maybe by posting as well...not sure why they are so cheap @ 120 development for £1.99, but maybe you have to buy the film off them as part of the deal:-

http://www.photos2you.co.uk/

also

I was pleased with these people at Bournemouth but postage makes it expensive for just one roll of 120 for C41 development @ £2.50:-
http://www.snapsphotoservices.com/page_2170585.html

For developing you might want to find somone local but getting film is easy enough, Calumet aren't bad for 120, I think I paid £3 and a few pence including the VAT for FP4.
Whereabouts are you?

Thanks for the help guys.

I will check out the links once I actually have a roll to process.

Got a roll of Ilford Delta 400 B&W to start me off from Jacobs. £5.

Will bulk buy a load once I have tried some different types out.

Back