Beginner First try in a nature reserve!

Name
caitlin
Edit My Images
No
I've been doing alot of portrait photography. I want to gain experience trying new things and since i work in Healey Dell Nature Reserve and it's such a beautiful place with so much history I had a little fun on my lunch hour trying to get some nice photos on Friday. I'd love to hear some feedback good or bad send it my way. Always looking to improve and refine!

View attachment 36047 View attachment 36048 View attachment 36049 View attachment 36050

It might be a nature reserve, but these buildings don't really fit the Nature category for me :)

Okay, don't take this personally. I'll discuss them as if they were my pics, and to be honest, they could be!
1. Why would I take this? The light is flat and there is no obvious subject, okay there is a rundown building hiding back there but the tree in the foreground is the thing in focus.
The open, dark doorway appears to be more the subject due to its placement at the centre.
2. Lighting is flat. The shot is squint. No obvious subject. Taking an almost detail shot does not make it art.
3. The most interesting pic. Leading lines, tree branches almost touching, but again: flat lighting, lack of contrast.
Maybe think about returning at a time when the light is better and the trees fill out more.
4. B&W does not make a weak pic any better.

If they were mine, I don't think I would keep them.
But, it is probably an area worth returning to when there is better light. Maybe a bit more thought on subject matter.

It doesn't mean I'm a better photographer than you!

I wasn't quite sure what category to put these into!
Ken, I totally agree with you about the light I was a little disappointed because I couldnt get out of work when the lighting was lovely and when I did get out the lighting wasn't right and abit dim so i was a little disappointed by that. Thankyou for your comments, It was my first every try to be fair and not an area of photography I have ever tried before to be honest but i will keep trying to get the lighting and the subject of the to be more prominent. Thankyou

I wasn't quite sure what category to put these into!
Ken, I totally agree with you about the light I was a little disappointed because I couldnt get out of work when the lighting was lovely and when I did get out the lighting wasn't right and abit dim so i was a little disappointed by that. Thankyou for your comments, It was my first every try to be fair and not an area of photography I have ever tried before to be honest but i will keep trying to get the lighting and the subject of the to be more prominent. Thankyou
You took that very well!

Lighting is extremely important.
Here's an interesting look at landscape photography:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I0ZR6T8QCA

Of course! I wouldn't have put them up for crit if i wasn't going to take it well I'd rather you be honest, i'm a newbie how else will i learn :)
Thanks for the video, watching it now!

Why would you not take it well?
Err, you've not been following this interesting thread? https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/my-classy-photography-let-me-know-what-you-think.586711/

I've enjoyed Colin Prior's photography for decades, his attention to detail and patience: waiting, and waiting for the right moment. It's his job, he has the time to do this.
You and I have other things to do, but a bit of patience is worth it.

Edit: BTW, you will improve. Do not despair! It just takes time and practice.

Last edited:
I tried to look at the thread but it's saying I dont have permission?
I imagine it takes alot of patience!
I just wanted to give it a shot since i work around all these beautiful surroundings, I want to go for a good walk in the dell with my camera to get some better shots of all the hidden gems there is waterfalls and all sorts so i might dedicate a day of my weekend and spend a day there taking photos!:)

I'll get there, portrait photography is what I want to do but it's worth trying everything i guess!

The thread has just been removed by the moderators. It was amusing, but doomed from the start.

Always take your camera with you; the one time you don't- the conditions will be perfect!
Patience and practice.

Back