First try with new lights - advice please

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Karen_for_TP.JPG

Hi

I've just bought some new lights for my home studio, and this is my first attempt. I used one light for this, above and directly in front of her.

I'm new to photography, and this is just a test, so I just grabbed her to take this shot. The light was bounced off an umbrella. I suppose the advice I'm after is how to begin to change from taking a snap to taking a portrait ? I think if I had got my old point and shoot and taken the same picture it would have been as good / bad.

I dont expect a magic answer to suddenly appear (unless there is one, so please do tell me it !) but if I can learn a bit to improve each time I'll be happy.

I have 2 lights with umbrellas, a reflector, and a backdrop.

I'd appreciate any pointers you can give me.

Thanks

Andy

Last edited:
I'm also new to this, I think its quite a nice first try (y)

What I would do is introduce the second light to the background so you don't get that gradual fade from light to dark.

From what i've read, people often tend to position the flash a bit higher than the model at a 45degree angle to add a bit more contrast to the face. You can then even up the light by placing a reflector to the opposite side to the models face.

I like the spread of lighting the umbrella produces, I should get myself one, but i've been looking into a softbox as well, not sure which to get.

Last edited:
Back