First Use Of HiLite Background & A Question

InaGlo

TPer Emerita
Name
Glo
Edit My Images
Yes
Well despite my wig not arriving for this (thanks RM) I decided to have a crack at it anyway.

Despite having bought the Lastolite HiLite backdrop several months ago, this was my first time using it (I know, I bad!).

I pretty much threw it up ... or did it jump up!
Anyone who has ever used a folding Lastolite reflector... you'll understand where Im coming from :LOL:

I need to practice with my lighting more I think, as I just pretty much dived in blind.

This is one of the shots (havent been through them all yet but I like the pose so grabbed this one).
Shot with one light going 'through' the backdrop, and one light slightly overhead at camera right.
I didnt have anyway of supporting a reflector underneath to bring some light into her neck/chest ... and Im miffed how much it shows! :bang:

And there lies the Question ... any idea how I can lighten the neck/chest area without it looking false?

Also, I cant find my skin tutorial. Ive cloned a few stray hairs from the forehead so I need to blend this better & soften the skin overall as this kind of make up really sits heavy in the creases/pores... anyone prepared to share their skin tut?

Any other c&c ... gladly received.

Ta! :D

pics-1354-2-websize.jpg

I'll send you my bill, or we could just come to some other arangement. :D

pics-1354-2-websize.jpg

Nice work btw! (y)
I took some red out as I assumed you wanted the body to contrast less with the face?

what a stunning picture!
absolutely beautiful

(lipstick reminds me of one of the Star Wars princesses - sorry)

you might find some useful skin stuff here

Draw a freehand mask like so, keeping it tight under the chin.

inaglo.jpg

Then feather the mask by around 30 pixels. The mask will overlap the face but fear not - the feathering will start from under the chin.

I then adjusted the gamma to lighten the area within the mask, but you can use the lightness slider if you prefer.

Using the same mask slide the red down to taste.

Remove mask and save. :)

Selective masks are mucho powerful tools. Remember you can use pretty well any adjustment or filter you like within the mask.

Corking shot and the best I've seen you do I reckon. The pose doesn't look contrived- she looks like she's just looking at her nails or waiting for them to dry. The fact that she's looking at her nails also concentrates the attention on them.

Hi Glo, I've been thinking of one of these and would be interested in your thoughts now you have used it :D. I notice you only used one light, I presume it was sufficient. Did you have to do any PP on the background?

Good shot btw but I'd clone out the stray hair(s) to the left of the image.

Thanks Colin, actually, it isnt stray hairs on the left, its a gold ribbon, which is a lot more obvious on large filesize, though I agree it does look like stray hair here, so I may get rid of it.

Tbh, the HiLite is a real doddle.
It literally springs into life when you open it... though folding it back up is an art in its self ;)
Its kind of like a hollow mattress with zips on all sides so that you can use it on its long or short side

Ive done no pp on this pic apart from stray hairs on the forehead ... there's absolutely no shadow on the bg whatsoever.
You just stand your light at its side, poke your it through into the hollow, and close the zip around it. Voila!

I didnt buy the train for it but I think I will to give me a bit more scope.
It also comes in two sizes ... mine is the smaller one as Im really limited on space here. Its fine for one person/couple but I think you'd need to go larger for a group.
Hth.

Corking shot and the best I've seen you do I reckon. The pose doesn't look contrived- she looks like she's just looking at her nails or waiting for them to dry. The fact that she's looking at her nails also concentrates the attention on them.

Awww!!! thank you CT :love:

Shh! cheque is in the post!

Back