First video help

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
On Sunday I'm shooting my first video, it's generally an interview, I've started putting together a shot list.

Because of the short notice I can't get hold of a proper voice recorder, so I'm planning to use an iPhone lapel mic and record onto the iPhone.

I have a shot list
Clapperboard app
Script

My concerns are:
the weather (it's outdoor)
Sound quality /synching
Mixing shots from DSLR with some footage from a P&S (which I have a DIY steadicam for)
I'm prepared to 'stylise' the P&S footage to overcome the technical differences.

Is there anything I haven't thought of? Or assumptions I've made that wont work?

Make sure you secure the muffler onto the lapel mic - they have a habit of disappearing - and have spare mufflers just in case you do lose it.

Pick a location where you're not going to get really intrusive background noise such as lawnmowers, sirens... stuff that will still pick up on the mic.

Turn any auto gain off on the recording device and make sure its recording at a constant volume... nothing worse than inbetween the subject speaking, the mic brings up the ambient levels and you get that horrible pulsing. Sounds awful.

Tripod, of course, if you're doing static camera shots.

Don't record under and umbrella - the raindrop noises are irritating - if it is raining then go under something solid and noise-free (i.e a structure).

Assess the lighting; nothing worse than having to deal with cloudburst and then it going dull again. If in doubts, shoot under open shade again a background that isn't changing.

Give yourself enough of a handle either side of the clips so you can edit properly and add in transitions, etc....

If you're shooting with two cameras at the same time, know what the field of view is on each camera so you don't intrude into the shot when moving around

Make sure you secure the muffler onto the lapel mic - they have a habit of disappearing - and have spare mufflers just in case you do lose it.

Pick a location where you're not going to get really intrusive background noise such as lawnmowers, sirens... stuff that will still pick up on the mic.

Turn any auto gain off on the recording device and make sure its recording at a constant volume... nothing worse than inbetween the subject speaking, the mic brings up the ambient levels and you get that horrible pulsing. Sounds awful.

Tripod, of course, if you're doing static camera shots.

Don't record under and umbrella - the raindrop noises are irritating - if it is raining then go under something solid and noise-free (i.e a structure).

Assess the lighting; nothing worse than having to deal with cloudburst and then it going dull again. If in doubts, shoot under open shade again a background that isn't changing.

Give yourself enough of a handle either side of the clips so you can edit properly and add in transitions, etc....

If you're shooting with two cameras at the same time, know what the field of view is on each camera so you don't intrude into the shot when moving around

Thanks Pat
I'm going to practice the sound recording outside tomorrow. The location for the shoot is miles from any intrusive civilisation but I'm not sure how the phone will handle sound levels changing. It sounds quite good indoors (better than the camera input).

Back