First week in March - where to go?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hopefully I have managed to get the first week off work in March so planning to the some Landscapes for 5/6 days. Will probably leave it to the week before and have a look at the long range forecast before I make up my mind where to go but since I'm new to this game I'm after suggestions where best to go.

The 3 place that spring to my mind was Scotland (Glencoe/Skye), Snowdonia or the Lakes. But any suggestions are most welcome and any spots in those locations :).

Many thanks in advance.

If you are prepared for really bad weather then any of your suggestions would be good. I'm not saying you will have bad weather. I don't know the Lakes and Snowdonia that well but I've been in NW Scotland in February in a T shirt, but have also seen rain, snow and gales in April to make you never want to go out.

You said (Glencoe/Skye), do you mean a week to do both? If so, I suggest you decide on one or the other rather than both. The closest point on the mainland to Skye is probably around 60ish miles from Glencoe and Skye is a deceptively big island.

Both Glencoe and Skye have a lot to offer and I think concentrating on one would be the best option.

However, for something completely different, how about the north Norfolk coast? It is a marvelous place.

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave, yes i did mean Glencoe or Skye. Within reason im happy with usunsettled/stormy weather just like to avoid the grey wet days (dont we all). Dont plan to book anywhere on advance and will be checking the outlook before i go.
Hadnt considered Norfolk and its a place ive never been to.
Trying to get a few options lined and up and planned before the week so it gives me few choices depending on the weather forecast.

In the UK, Graham ? Have you considered somewhere foreign ? Plenty of fantastic places in southern Europe that will be brilliant in March. Alps ? Dolimiti ? Picos ? Corsica ? Tuscany ? The problem is usually flights to these places. It'll be before the charter flights get going so you're faced with scheduled fares.

Last edited:
Scotland's on a bigger scale so in a way there's more scope. But it can lash with rain / hail / snow and gales for a whole week so you might cultivate the mind to be able to exploit those conditions after investing in the journey - think muted colour, low light and the theatre of the grey rather than conventionally 'pretty' landscapes. At least you won't be assailed by bloody midges at this time of year!

Jurassic coast?

In the UK, Graham ? Have you considered somewhere foreign ? Plenty of fantastic places in southern Europe that will be brilliant in March. Alps ? Dolimiti ? Picos ? Corsica ? Tuscany ? The problem is usually flights to these places. It'll be before the charter flights get going so you're faced with scheduled fares.

Bookmarked this thread

Scotland's on a bigger scale so in a way there's more scope. But it can lash with rain / hail / snow and gales for a whole week so you might cultivate the mind to be able to exploit those conditions after investing in the journey - think muted colour, low light and the theatre of the grey rather than conventionally 'pretty' landscapes. At least you won't be assailed by bloody midges at this time of year!

Thanks guys for the ideas
Chris I hadn't thought southern Europe I will have to have a look.

Rog I do hate Midges got attacked in Skye Last September. Its just a case of making my mind up and just making the best of the weather, trouble is to many places I would like to go to :)

Yea, first week in march arrives and the forcast is pretty dire!

I'd personally go for Northern Italy. The weather shouldn't be too bad and the scenery around the mountains is very nice. There's also some lovely cities to visit such as Verona, travelling around by train is easy and cheap. Flights and accommodation are cheap at this time of year.

Back