Fish photos

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been photographing different subjects since I got my first DSLR last Saturday and I took these the other day, just wondering how they could be improved? I was using shutter priority mode so I could get a feel of when the speed was too slow for the movement of the fish. I don't have a lens hood ATM (these was taken with kit lens), which I believe should be pressed against the glass? The other problem was the light from indoors was not enough so had to use the flash, which reflected in the water. I have cropped the photos below so the flash isn't seen.

post-438-1281802749.jpg

post-438-1281802753.jpg

post-438-1281802756.jpg

post-438-1281802759.jpg

I thought it was considered bad form to use flash on fish?

Some of the fish look a tiny bit out of focus, did you focus manually?

I believe most are ok with the flash but when you go to the sealife centre it's the seahorses and other sensitive fish who usually live in the deep sea that the flash can't be used with? I tried a couple without the flash and they were very dark but if I used a slower shutter speed the fish looked blurred. I used auto focus but I can't remember what I had it set to, I think it was either auto or single.

If you used auto focus it might have focussed on the glass...hence fish a little off? :LOL: I have a childish sense of humour sometimes ;)

Love the colours though and particularly the composition and colour in #1 (y)

I've only just started to learn how to use a DSLR without manually focusing as well! ;) But I see what you mean, which is why I thought with a lens hood you press this against the glass, would that help?

Number one is my favourite as well but compared to my old point and shoot method I'm impressed I actually got some that aren't blurred :)

Couple of tips i have learned:

a. Take pics in dark room

b. Try to light from above tank

c. Spotless glass inside and out

and yes place hood against glass.

Hope it helps:)

Couple of tips i have learned:

a. Take pics in dark room

b. Try to light from above tank

c. Spotless glass inside and out

and yes place hood against glass.

Hope it helps:)

Thanks, noted :)

I took them when it was dusk but the light in the room was on. The light in the tank is in the lid but do I need to use a flash? Time to get a lens hood I think.

Do it with the lights out;):D, seriously though switch room lights off-cuts down on reflections. Increase light from top of tank, either by off camera flash, or perhaps use a cheap halogen lamp, one of those work lights would do the trick, beware water and electrictiy of course!!

Nice one Rich, I was doing the same after sorting the tank out! Even went to the place you suggested :) should get some pics of the cars, when you sort your one out?

I believe most are ok with the flash but when you go to the sealife centre it's the seahorses and other sensitive fish who usually live in the deep sea that the flash can't be used with?

no - its an issue to do with the pupils on a fish eye, they can't control the amount of light entering the eye (as we can by closing a pupil)

Do it with the lights out;):D, seriously though switch room lights off-cuts down on reflections. Increase light from top of tank, either by off camera flash, or perhaps use a cheap halogen lamp, one of those work lights would do the trick, beware water and electrictiy of course!!

So I remove the lid and increase the light in the tank using a halogen lamp, which I have and then photograph them with no flash in the dark. I'll order a lens hood and then give it a go :)

Nice one Rich, I was doing the same after sorting the tank out! Even went to the place you suggested :) should get some pics of the cars, when you sort your one out?

Cheers mate, you went to world of water then? I wonder if they'd let you take the camera in there! lol :naughty: I'll be trying the camera out on the car once it's had a clean (y)

no - its an issue to do with the pupils on a fish eye, they can't control the amount of light entering the eye (as we can by closing a pupil)

Interesting, didn't know that, so why is it when I go to the sealife centre it's only a couple of specific fish they say can't be photographed with a flash? :thinking:

hahaha get cleaning then! Not seen you about recently, I'm ashamed to say stuey is awaiting a wash since I got back form holiday! Been nearly 3 weeks :shake: vintage is still beading like a goodun though! You got any ideas of somewhere decent in the area? I'm thinking bushey arches, little green lane etc?

And my fish shots so far have been okay, but nothing to shout home about! . We've got a ton of babies already that I hope can't move fast enough to get some good shots later.

When you say use a halogen lamp, you don't mean a 500w surely?! You'll cook em! :p

hahaha get cleaning then! Not seen you about recently, I'm ashamed to say stuey is awaiting a wash since I got back form holiday! Been nearly 3 weeks :shake: vintage is still beading like a goodun though! You got any ideas of somewhere decent in the area? I'm thinking bushey arches, little green lane etc?

And my fish shots so far have been okay, but nothing to shout home about! . We've got a ton of babies already that I hope can't move fast enough to get some good shots later.

When you say use a halogen lamp, you don't mean a 500w surely?! You'll cook em! :p

Yeah had alot on mate so not been around much. What do you mean somewhere decent in the area, to take photos of? Never thought of Bushey Arches in that way!

Have you posted any photos up yet? Some tropical fish have amazing colours, would love to try and photograph those.

Nah, not yet! I got some alright ones of the dogs today, but I had issues! The garden was in the shade and getting dark, and they wouldn't stop jumping around! So I had to whack the iso up, and adjust the apature just to get them to stop being plain ol' blurs. Can't believe how much thinking there is! I've now read about 5 books cover to cover and at least my pics are starting to improve!

And yeah to get some decent pics. There's some garages up little green lane isn't there? I bet that would be good for some pics against the wall at the back... I'm gonna have a hunt around for a few places in the area. Thinking of outside the offices by the citroen garage in watford business park too, I know that area pretty well adn there's plenty of industrial doors... :D I'll get some pics of the doggies up in a min when I get in!

You ain't wrong, before I used to point and shoot with the compact there was no thinking required. Then I got the bridge camera and starting to think about what I was doing but not too much. With the DSLR there are so many settings it's mind boggling but as with anything trial and error will help us improve :)

You mean the office where storm was, I work on the business park and yeah it would be a good place to get some shots. For garage shots I tend to use me mates in Chesham though ;)

Yeah, but the trial and error is definitely more fun! What was your next lens did you say? I've already spent far too much, this is almost as expensive as detailing!

Lovely all of those golden fish shots, I am really very impress , I am not a professional photographer but its my hobby, In my fish photography collection I never seen this types of any shots of this types of fish photos, great.

Back