Beginner Fisheye lens on the cheap. Help!

Edit My Images
No
Hello all :)

I am new to the forum and am looking forward to talking to you all and swapping tips.

I have a Nikon D40 SLR and I wanted to have a try with a fisheye lens. I know you can get fisheye lens caps but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I can't really afford to buy a proper lens at the moment.

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap version?

Thank you

Laura

x

There are often ads for the screw-to-the-end-of-your-18-55 types in the back of Amateur Photographer.

I had one of the "fisheye" filers from eBay and the results were extremely poor so I never used it after that and gave it away.

You may want to look at the Samyang 8mm(?) but that would set you back maybe £200 or you could look at renting one for a few days (but don't do this until you have a plan on what you'd like to shoot with it so you don't waste the opportunity).

I ended up getting the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 to scratch that itch which isn't a fisheye but is a UWA and an amazing lens.

Reactions: BBR
There are a number of the Samyangs on fleabay at around 140, owned this for a few years a great lens for the money.

I had one of the "fisheye" filers from eBay and the results were extremely poor so I never used it after that and gave it away.

You may want to look at the Samyang 8mm(?) but that would set you back maybe £200 or you could look at renting one for a few days (but don't do this until you have a plan on what you'd like to shoot with it so you don't waste the opportunity).

I ended up getting the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 to scratch that itch which isn't a fisheye but is a UWA and an amazing lens.

Hello, I'm looking at getting the lens you mentioned above. Do you have any examples of picture you have taken?

Hello, I'm looking at getting the lens you mentioned above. Do you have any examples of picture you have taken?

Are you asking about the fisheye filter (I do not have any pictures from this now) or the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 (there's a few on my Flickr stream including a recent one of the Cutty Sark)?

The Samyang 8mm is a very sharp lens and very I have one or two examples on my Flickr page. In addition, go to Flickr and in the search box put 8mm Samyang and it will pull up other peoples examples too.

Last edited:
i got a 235 degree one for my phone which is fun and cheap, was only £6 something from china

I had one of the SamYang Fisheye lenses, it was great fun. They can be got pretty cheap from eBay. I sold mine for £170 and that was 2 years ago if not longer. I seem to remember it being part manual, might have been the aperture that had to be done manually (I cant remember to be honest) but it was a great lens.

I had some example shots but can't show them here (might be to do with being new, I'm not sure).

Hmm, what is your idea of cheap? You're not going to find any fish eye lens for less than $150-200, even the manual ones.

Don't go for the screw in types! I'm not sure how anyone would find them useful

As others have already said, get a Samyang, they are manual focus but the 8mm and 10mm can be set at around 2mtrs and F8 and then you can basically forget about it as nearly everything will be ok, very good IQ for the money.

Back