Fixation

Edit My Images
Yes
There has been mention of Fixation in other threads however as far as I know there isn't a dedicated thread from people that have used them. Unfortunately I decided to use Fixation to give my new (expensive) lens a treat, it was second hand so I thought it could do with a service and some lens love generally. I did a bit of searching and found out that their service center was actually a Nikon authorized one which was an added bonus, and as I was going in that direction anyway I thought I would be an idiot to pass up the opportunity.

I dropped the lens into Fixation on the 9th of this month and was greeted by a very nice lady who had really good knowledge of what she was dealing with (I can't criticize the staff for not knowing what they are talking about or being rude). I was told there was quite a long waiting list which I was prepared for anyway. I contacted Fixation three days ago wondering what was going on and also asking them for a quote on a specific part of the lens that was missing (the lens foot). Later that day a technician rang up to tell me that he had serviced the lens and has also fitted the part that I wanted a quote for. I was a little annoyed because although they said I could request for them to dismantle to take off the part they had somewhat pushed me into a corner on this one.

In the end I decided that although the lens foot was extraordinarily expensive I did actually really want it anyway and it would save me the hassle of getting hold of the part from Nikon (they didn't seem to know if they had them or not when I called). I rang up later that day to confirm I wanted the lens foot and also to pay for it all. I was told that the service itself was £63 and the construction of the tripod mount was £66. I thought it was a bit pricey but reasonable for this sort of place. It turned out that with UPS next day delivery the total to pay was a few pence under £200. I have to say I was really shocked about this but perhaps next day delivery from UPS costs silly money :shrug:. I grudgingly agreed to pay the amount and was told that I had missed the courier for that day so I had to wait until the Thursday.

It is now Saturday and unless my calculations are wildly off I should have the lens by now. I believe Fixation is shut for the weekend so I won't be able to get any reply from them about this gazillion pount delivery and because there will be no one in all week I will have to wait until at least next Friday to have any chance of seeing this lens. My advice to anyone thinking of servicing a lens is honestly not to bother, unless something is really wrong there is not point. I have only dealt with Fixation in this case but I suspect quite a few other repair centers will be similar so far as pricing is concerned.

By the time I get this lens back it will have been in Fixation's hands longer than mine :bang:. Sorry about the rant I just feel rather annoyed about paying £200 for not a great deal.

Later that day a technician rang up to tell me that he had serviced the lens and has also fitted the part that I wanted a quote for.

[snip]

I thought it was a bit pricey but reasonable for this sort of place. It turned out that with UPS next day delivery the total to pay was a few pence under £200.

If they did work without quoting you a price prefumably they are giving it to you for free :shrug: I'm sure there must be legislation for this

As for postage I'd demand a refund as they obviously haven't couriered it despite charging you about £70 for the privelage (assuming the £66 and £63 were inclusive of VAT, if not it'd be about £50)

I have had to assume the prices they gave me were without VAT. I guess if you consider insurance £50 would be about right perhaps? I think the problem may partially rest on my shoulders, I should have made out to be a professional when I went in because I'm certain their turn around time would have been a hell of a lot faster. I suspect I was put right at the bottom of the pile as a low priority 'amateur lamer' so to speak.

I think your critisism of Fixation is a little harsh. You should maybe be critisising yourself a bit more. You agreed to the charge for the service, you agreed to the charge for the foot and you agreed to the charge for the delivery. They have done nothing that you haven't agreed to.

What you should have done is insisted on them removing the foot that they'd fitted, giving you a quotation then asked them to re-fit it. I'm sure they'd rather have charged you less than have to do the work over again. You should also have found out their delivery charges before handing the lens over. £50 is extortionate for posting any lens even with insurance but if you agreed to pay it then you can't complain.

I realise that I could have disagreed with their pricing and the way things were done however I find it very awkward to confront people over things like this especially when they have in their possession an expensive bit of my kit. I could have requested that they removed the lens foot however as it was something I really did want to have I decided for them to keep it on the lens. For some reason it makes me feel a little better that I will actually be able to see a difference when I do eventually get it back (silly I know). As for posting I'm really unsure how that works, I know that it cost me £40 some years ago to send my D200 body back to Nikon however as they're a business I would imagine they get quite a discount. I was wrong for agreeing to all of this but I really don't like the way they put me in the position they did.

hmmm, it seems like our choice of repair centre is getting narrower.
I want to send my 20 away for a new rear element, I've emailed Lehmanns, Camera workshop and Fixation for a quote.
Lehmanns didn't bother to reply and the Camera workshop can't help me :shrug:.
Only Fixation came up with a quote, but I don't like the sound of your experience, they quote £30 for the element £55 for labour, add in some shipping and their disclaimer and things could really start getting stupid.
To be fair, they haven't seen it but there is a level of trust one has to employ in these situations and your experience doesn't fill me with confidence.:(

I see this as a pricing complaint really, from what I've seen and heard from the people working there I'm hoping their work will live up to it. If it does I've been ripped off and it it doesn't I may have been somewhat screwed over. I will try to remember to reply once I've got it back for a full report on that.

The shipping charge does seem to be pricey when you consider that RMSD would only be a tad over £20.
In my experience, companies that use couriers a lot have an arrangement with them for reduced rates anyway.
I would have thought that a courier price like that would be for next day delivery and since that didn't happen you ought to get recompense.

The shipping charge does seem to be pricey when you consider that RMSD would only be a tad over £20.
In my experience, companies that use couriers a lot have an arrangement with them for reduced rates anyway.
I would have thought that a courier price like that would be for next day delivery and since that didn't happen you ought to get recompense.

They may have an arrangement with a courier for disounted rates but they probabaly still charge the punter the full rate and more.

I can't believe they are really trying to get away with £40 or more for delivery. I'm not sure what lens you have but RMSD is £9 for anything under 2kg and a value of up to £1000, and £10.10 up to £2500. (Over 2kg it jumps to over £20).

When you get the invoice, which should be itemised, have a good look at it and if you are still unhappy I should query it. If they've promised you next day delivery and you've paid for it, and it hasn't arrived even though you were there to receive it I should ask for your money back on the delivery charge.:)

I've just got the lens back today so I thought I would give this thread an update along with exact prices.

Service: £65.00
Lens Foot: £63.00
Bayonet Fitting: £32.96
Shipping: £10.00
VAT: £25.64
Total: £196.60

When I paid for all of this I was told that the bayonet fitting had been fixed which I presumed was going to be a minimal cost. It seems that it was the cost of that which drove the price up as shipping was £10 in the end. The reason the lens did not arrive on Friday was that Fixation wrote my postcode wrong on the parcel which must have confused the UPS system.

Needless to say this has not only put me off fixation but the entire idea of servicing equipment too. The work on the lens looks fine but I won't get to have a go with the lens until next weekend.

Last edited:
Removed

Last edited:
Back