Fjord Pics

Edit My Images
Yes
First time posting in this section so please comment on where I've gone wrong with these.

090803_8818.jpg

090803_8825.jpg

090803_8832.jpg

Thanks for looking. Don.

I'm not too keen on the overexposed skies. :(

I know when in that situation one has to decide what to expose correctly, but the overexposed bits just jump out at me. :eek:

I tend to try and keep detail in the skies or overexpose. If I have a tripod, time and the scene is suitable (not much moving) then I would try a few bracketed shots, and either choose the best, or maybe try a HDR image.

I like the clouds over the tops of the hills/mountains in the 3rd pic. Something in the foreground (not always possible I know) would have been nice to try and give it some scale though.

I like the last one, it gives the place a sense of grandeur, where were these taken?
Thanks Luke, these were taken on a boat trip out of Stavanger to the Lysefjord.

I'm not too keen on the overexposed skies. :(

I know when in that situation one has to decide what to expose correctly, but the overexposed bits just jump out at me. :eek:

I tend to try and keep detail in the skies or overexpose. If I have a tripod, time and the scene is suitable (not much moving) then I would try a few bracketed shots, and either choose the best, or maybe try a HDR image.

I like the clouds over the tops of the hills/mountains in the 3rd pic. Something in the foreground (not always possible I know) would have been nice to try and give it some scale though.

Thanks redhead for your comments, appreciate them. I didn't have much time to set exposures as I was on a fairly quick moving boat so I went in AV mode and left the aperture set at f16. Here is another version of the last one with a boat in the foreground, I've done a bit of adjustment in levels as well on this one.

090803_8833.jpg

Lammie, some nice photographs.

The sky is a difficult one. The light in Norway can be particularly difficult and is often much the same as it is up here in Scotland, dam contrasty. Although there seems to be a little haze in your shots, often the air is very dry with little pollution, and that can make metering difficult, if not on some occasions impossible. I think its worth considering a neutral density filter. Pop the Camera into manual and away you go. Getting it in the camera right first time, will always look better, retaining the contrast and look so much more natural than post processing in photoshop.

Thanks for sharing

A nice set of shots here, but as above, the skies are a little blown and detract from the images slightly. If you can't bracket the shot, then an ND grad is a must.

The boat in the last shot looks a little dull, but a quick tweak in PS brings the boat detail up nicely. :)

Lammie, some nice photographs.

The sky is a difficult one. The light in Norway can be particularly difficult and is often much the same as it is up here in Scotland, dam contrasty. Although there seems to be a little haze in your shots, often the air is very dry with little pollution, and that can make metering difficult, if not on some occasions impossible. I think its worth considering a neutral density filter. Pop the Camera into manual and away you go. Getting it in the camera right first time, will always look better, retaining the contrast and look so much more natural than post processing in photoshop.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for your comments and advice Cheviot. Most of my shots taken that week shows the haze that you mention. I think i'll look at getting a ND filter before I have another go at these type of shots.

IMHO the last one with the boat gives the picture more interest and depth ! but we all have our likes and dislikes.
Thanks Des.

A nice set of shots here, but as above, the skies are a little blown and detract from the images slightly. If you can't bracket the shot, then an ND grad is a must.

The boat in the last shot looks a little dull, but a quick tweak in PS brings the boat detail up nicely. :)

Thanks Drofmats, think i'll be looking to get a ND filter and i'll have a go at lifting the detail of the boat in the last one.

Number 3 for me. the sense of scale is excellence. Given that you were on holiday and had to take the weather as it came there ok. Having been there a few times the weather can be challenging to say the least!

Also like Number 3 and as others have said it's just that the sky is slightly blown. I quite like it without the boat - more simple and allows Nature to be the star of the shot. But that's just my personal taste! :)

Back