Review Fjords Cruise (Norway) 2014 - Bergen; Geiranger; Flam (Flaam); Stavanger.

Enjoyed reading your blog Adrian, looks like you had a great trip - it reminded me of a similar trip we did a couple of years ago.

I know what you mean about Greenock!

Chris

Enjoyed reading your blog Adrian, looks like you had a great trip - it reminded me of a similar trip we did a couple of years ago.

I know what you mean about Greenock!

Chris
thanks chris - im planning another cruise next year funds permitting which would go from bristol so only a half hour train trip instead of an 8 hour+ trip!

Awesome blog - Loved reading it. I'm in two minds if we should go back to Norway this year or wait a few years. My mindset is that we should wait a few years before going back to see more of the same. I love the photos! Was this a Fred Olsen liner?

Awesome blog - Loved reading it. I'm in two minds if we should go back to Norway this year or wait a few years. My mindset is that we should wait a few years before going back to see more of the same. I love the photos! Was this a Fred Olsen liner?
Thanks Dylan, it was a Fred Olsen liner, quite an old boat compared with most cruise ships. I went with a very minimal kit to save on packing, just a D610 & 28mm f/3.5 prime, so no zooming in on rigs although I saw quite a few while I was having breakfast one morning. I'm a big fan of scandanavian countries even if the beer costs and arm and a leg - helsinki is on my hit list some time in the future.

We did the full two-week fjord cruise on Arcadia at the end of May, last year. The North Sea crossing was just horrible (and I've been across the bay of Biscay in a Force 10 in one of Fred's smaller tubs) but after that the sea was completely calm for the rest of the voyage. We were one of the first cruise ships that season to go up to North Cape so we only shared one port with another one. Had very low cloud in Geiranger, unfortunately, but were exceptionally lucky with the weather at North Cape and this is the midnight sun while we were there.

DSC_0916.JPG

Printed this off as a birthday card for a colleague who was 60 that day.
The sun didn't set for three days - it's just wrong......

We went round the Baltic on Aurora the previous year. Don't believe any of the hype about St. Petersburg - it's a grid-locked dump and many of the more interesting sites are well outside the city. The other cities (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Talinn, Bruge) were all worthwhile but two days in St. Petersburg!

I'm taking SWMBO on Azura for a week on the Iberian coast plus St. Peter's Port next July to celebrate her (mumble)0th birthday. :)

Back