Flamsbana. Norway again

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Running down from the Bergen railway at Myrdal into the valley and the town of Flam is the Flamsbana, or Flam Railway, 20km of one the steepest gradient railways in the world, passing through some very photogenic scenery. The weather was dull but at least dry.

1 - already posted, but is part of this set, the Aurlandsfjord at Flam right down in the valley.

Flam.jpg

2 - As the train climbs out of the valley, the view of the village is picture postcard toytown stuff.

Flam2.jpg

3 - The train then passes though the lower slopes, where the scenery gets a bit more rugged, though there are still some small farms in this area.

Flamrailwayview.jpg

4 - The trains climbs on till eventually it stops at the Kjos falls, one on Norways many huge waterwalls

FlamFalls.jpg

Apologies, not best quality, just stepping off the train got water on the lens, but you get the idea of size
flamfalls2.jpg

5 - ever upwards, the Reinunga Lake appears in view and we are much closer to those snowy peaks

Flamrailwayview2.jpg

6 - Finally the Train gets to Myrdal where it meets the Oslo and Bergen Trains...and boy was it chilly this high up, some 2800ft from Flam in the Valley [again, sorry not the best pic, was struggling with cold hands and extremes of light and dark :( ]

myrdal.jpg

Like these very much.2&3 especially. Bring back memories of the walk down the valley. When I was at Myrdal there were lots of young ladies in bikinis sunbathing among the snow. I did not know where to look .... first!

Back