Flare with Filters

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently bought myself a 10stop filter from formatt (the 85mm one) and find that i get a bit of flare when using it (both film and digital) shaped like the aperture blades.

I'm assuming maybe some spots of rain on the front of the filter as both times i've used it the weather wasn't great... but is this normal? am i missing something? would a filter hood stop it?

fyi both times i had an ND2 grad in too, but using that on it's own all is fine.

thanks for that but not not the same issue - no issues with banding etc, the issue is light spots on the final images like you get with specular light and shaped apertures (that make sense)

i can definately rule out the viewfinder issue as happened on the film shots also and they were done on a 5x4 with no viewfinder

I would try a lens hood next or use something dark to put the lens in shade.

If the problem is internal reflections due to light striking the front element you should be able to see it through the viewfinder and also see the effect of shading the lens.

Just chatted to my lecturers who also suggested a lens hood so think it is something i will purchase sooner rather than later

Back