Flash & Close-up

Boo

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm researching the idea of using flash with close-up/macro work. Up until now I've always assumed that using flash was a no no :nono: for this type of work as it creates such an artificial look. However I'm beginning to wonder if it would make my life a bit easier as its sometimes impractical to try and grab a shot when you're lumping a tripod around.

How many of you use flash for this type of work? Do you find it makes life a lot easier? How do you get natural looking images?

I've never owned one so this is a completely new area for me and know nothing :thinking:

From what I gather ring flashes produce flat images and the twin flash (R1C1) are too expensive. With this in mind what would be an ideal flash gun to use with the Nikon D200?

My main subjects would be flowers, nature, insects.

Thanks.

hello
i am new to this but feel confident enough to reply. I use a flash mounted off the camera on a bracket and have had some good results so far. I have recently purchased a ring flash that has the ability to lower the flash on different sides so as to get away from the flat look, it creates shadow and its possible to experiment to get the right look if you know what I mean. Natural light is desirable but when you are really close up the DOF is really small, millimetres, so you need around f8 -f11 so therefore extra light is needed.
Someone else may provide a more "technical" answer :LOL:

In my playing so far with this, I've only used the on camera flash, with the flash compensation at about -1 1/3. I've posted some of the results so far (Drops, Hoverflies). I've had to use flash, as to get any DOF with the 50mm lens on the extension tubes, I have to use it at f16. I would really love to be able to get hold of a proper macro setup, but until then, I'll have to stick with what I have.

does the d200 have a remote flash trigger built in?
if so try that with a speedlite.
also you can always use a difuser (£6) or a folded piece of 6x4 photo card strapped to the head with an elastic band. just hold it in your hand whilst you shoot if possible
you'll always get one sided shadows though

what are you shooting? if you have the time what about a white card on the otherside of the subject to reflect the light back again to minimise your shadows? not tried it so please feel free to shot the idea down. might be okay for flowers but I doubt a dragon fly would wait for you to set up. :p

Thanks guys. I'd be interested in more feedback about ring flashes. In the mean time I can borrow a SB800 to have a play. I just need to get reading about flash in general as I'm completely confused about all the different settings on my camera and what they mean and thats before I go anywhere near the flash gun!

Back