Flash+Equipment

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to branch out from the basics and get myself a flash to play around with. The SB600/800/900 are all more costly than what I'd like to pay to play with new techniques.

I've been looking at the Sigma EF430, but it seems very cheap for what it apparently offers.

Just wondering if this will work alongside my D50, I'm looking to take it off-camera with some of those V2s remote triggers. Will it provide enough light to be a good multi-purpose flash unit? I'm hoping to possibly grab a stand for it with an umbrella/softbox for practicing portaits.

-Thanks

Good old Warehouse Express -

Sigma EF430 Flashgun Sony/Minolta Fit

Sigma EF430 Flashgun Minolta AF Fit. Sigma's popular base flashgun designed for a wide range of general use with entry level DSlr's. (Not Sony compatible) :LOL:

The version of the EF430 you link to is a Minolta fit, which has a different hotshoe mount to the V2s and to your D50. The fact that it doesn't fit anything else, or work with Sony dslrs is the reason it is cheap.

The default choice for a cheap, new off-camera use is the Vivitar 285HV. Unfortuntely you can't (legally) buy them in the UK, so they need to be imported personally from HK or the US. About £60 - delivered.

I would guess for that price it will only work in manual mode with the D50.

I know you said the SB600, 800 and 900 are too much but I have the SB800 with my D50 and its a brilliant peice of kit.

I'd probably go for that sigma then if you get into the flashgun's save up for an SB800 (contact Kerso off of here for a fantastic price) and then you can use the sigma as a second flashgun.

Oh well, looks like the idea of cheap flash is out the window :( That Vivitar looks like something from the 70's, its not going anywhere near my camera!

Although for £60 I might consider it. So these will work with the V2s and be decent enough to get started with off-camera flash?

The 285HV is a "classic" and highly regarded (I have two of them -one converted for infrared-only). As long as you're not going to use it on your D50's hotshoe then you can use any old (non-Minolta) flash that you can adjust the output on manually -ebay is your friend ;)

If you are looking to go off-camera, I'd recommend looking at the Nikon SB-24, 25, 26, 28 or 80 flash guns.

They can all be had from eBay for around the £60-80 mark (sometimes less) and can be bought from second hand dealers for not too much more.

I found the following during a recent trawl of the dealers:

SB-24
Fixation - £55
Mifsuds - £59

SB-25
MXV - £49 & 59

SB-26
Mifsuds - £69

SB-28
MXV - £59-84

SB-80
Dale - £65

That way you're getting genuine Nikon kit, many of these dealers give a warranty of some sort too.

Good luck

Martin

Cheers mate, thats magic :) Being nikon fit, I'm assuming they wont kill my camera if they're fired from the hot-shoe also?

That's certainly my understanding.

On a side note, would this be a better idea if I'm happy with a non-mobile unit?

180w Studio Strobe

It comes with a sync cord, will this be a PC adaptor that I can attach to a radio trigger or something?

Would either of these do the trick?

Jessops 300AFD

Jessops 300D

Not too sure about guide ratings etc, but I want to get in to strobist stuff and dont fancy having to upgrade to a (more expensive) flash anytime soon.

The default choice for a cheap, new off-camera use is the Vivitar 285HV. Unfortuntely you can't (legally) buy them in the UK, so they need to be imported personally from HK or the US. About £60 - delivered.

Legally? Have I missed something, why is it illeagal to sell/buy them in the UK?

Rob

Back