Flash Gels

Name
Bruce
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I have done a Google search and one on here,

I am going to get some gels but want to know but how can I find out what CTO to put on a flash.

Does it depend on the amount of bulbs in the room or is it shutter speed, any ideas on a handy guide.

Can you explain what you want a bit clearer? Not sure what you're trying to do exactly.

Bruce wants to know which Colour Temperature Orange gel to use.

"Suck it and see" is all I can advise. One of my setups is overly orange with a full strength CTO, yet another with a stronger Sunpak orange filter is OK with the camera's AWB.

Set the camera to manual and try setting the exposure for -1 to -3 stops, metering the ambient conditions. This will mean high ISO and lowish shutterspeed. With the flash mounted on the camera and bounced, you'll find more contribution from the ambient light (colour and shadows) the closer your exposure is to correct for the ambient e.g. -1 stop. Bear in mind that at high ISO and wide aperture the camera/flash metering combo may be outside their designed metering range and if you're looking for consistency you should probably set the flash manually if you have that option.

Thanks Photon,

Sorry if my post was a little unclear but you have answered it exactly. "Suck it and see" is what I expected

Back