flash guns

I dont want to sound stupid (trying to change the habit of a life time;) ) but is that either safe or allowed at a motor racing event, would of thought it might be a bit distracting for drivers , especially when their eyes are used to total darkness etc ? :ponders:

I would have thought you'd need something like a metz or quantum set up, depending on how much automation you need.

Anything less is probably just not going to have the power you'll need.

I do have to agree that blasting some poor sod trying to drive at 10 10ths through the night with a battery powered lighthouse doesn't sound to clever. Must have the wrong end of the stick.

Steve, buy the best flash that you can afford.
Currently Canons flagship offering is the EX580 Speedlite, and you won't go wrong with this.
It is expensive though at around £300.

Sigma offer the EF 500 Super DG, which isn't far behind the Canon offering in performance. This costs £160

I take it the event will be rallying, with it being dark.
You would have to take some test shots, and then adjust the flash exposure compensation to suit.

It won't be total darkness for the driver, as they will have all of the cars lights on plus the spot lights.

yea its rallying!

here's a link to a shot i took at night with the normal flash on the camera!

this was very close to the car, shots further away from the car either did not shoot at all or turned out disaster! it could be i just dont know how to work the camera in darkness but i thought id ask you's anyway!

thanks for advice anyway!!

http://www.jsa-media.co.uk/rallygallery/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=6

I've got the 500 DG super mentioned above, works great for this kind of stuff :)

Edit: haven't tried it in darkness mind you, was fill in on a really high contrast day

right, it seemed very strange that sometimes i couldnt get the camera to shoot at all, was really annoying considering my old Canon A1 would have worked great!

as i say, im pretty new to the photography scene never mind the digital scene! is there any way the 300D will shoot no matter what settings its at??

would anyone be able to give me advice on how to set up the camera for nighttime?!

thanks again!

sorry for asking stupid questions!!

That sounds like the auto focus isnt working - you could try it on manual focus - that way it will always shoot (I dont know if this would be practical with the speed these go though).

What shooting mode are you using BTW ?

BTW like the photo in the link is pretty good - especially in the lighting conditions :)

decided to go for the Ef 500 super DG!! now just have to look for cheapest place to get it! lol thanks for help lads

warspite - i havent had the camera long so ive just been mucking around with the settings, started by just using tye sports settings but then been using Tv and Manual recently! when its dark i never know whats best to use!! any tips?! lol

I think you'll have to go full manual in the dark.

Trouble is that it can only autofocus if it can see, which it may be able to do if the car is lit but it'll struggle.

You picked a tough one there, fast moving and badly lit! lol :)

yea, i guessed that was why i was having problems!

would this more powerfull flash light up the car a lot btter for the camera to focus on? rather than the built in flash! even in lowish light conditions it should make a difference anyway!

anyone recommend where would be best to buy it? ebay - £114 + pnp jessops £199+pnp whexpress £160 +

anyone know of any better shops/websites?? thanks

Back