flash help

33L

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
I am looking a purchasing my first decent flash soon and have a few Q's
I am looking at getting the 580 EX II flash to place on my 400D

1. Iwant to know what is the max sync speed between the flash unit and the camera. I know the onboard flash only sync to 1/200s

2. im sure there are lots of diffusers etc what has proven to work well.

3. Will Uniross 2700mAh Batteries be okay to power this flash without the need of too many battery changes. I have 8 that i use in my cheap studio flashes already.

4. What is the best guide to techniques for using the flash.

1. Iwant to know what is the max sync speed between the flash unit and the camera. I know the onboard flash only sync to 1/200s

Up to 1/4000 when hi speed sync set on the flash, at least it is with a 350D.

Mel:love:

i actually tried it out last night. it syncs up to 1/4000 using High speed sync.

Best way really, is just to get to grips using itusing ETTL, finding whereit has it's uses, then strat to use the manual functions.

And yes, there are a LOT of aftermarket diffusers, some good, some not so.

well i am glad about the sync speed being higher than that stupidly slow 1/200s

The batteries will be fine, just be aware that conventional NiMH don't hold their charge for more than a few weeks. Uniross Hybrio batteries are very good, and do retain their charge.

Diffusers are just an additional way to get you to part with cash. Most rely on bouncing the light from ceiling and walls. A simple bounce card will do that as well as sending some more light forward. Ken Korbre's book on photojournalism has a page of test shots comparing various alternatives, both indoors and out (where there was nowt to bounce off).

thanks for the tip photon!

Yeah, I've got that book and was browsing thqt chapter just yesterday. The best effect is pretty much given by a straightforward bounce off the ceiling. Go figure.

Back