Flash issue with Canon Speedlite and EOS RP

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
With my Canon EOS RP and Speedlite (shooting macro), I have a weird problem. Sometimes the flash fires but the camera thinks that it is not on.
When I check the flash settings it says flash turned off - but it is not. This means that the ISO goes to a very high level when not needed and it over exposes. I could just put the ISO to 100 I suppose but I would like to be able to change the flash settings and at the moment sometimes I can't because the camera doesn't think that it is there.
A) Does that make sense
B) Does anyone know how to fix it?

I'm not a Canon user and there are others here who may be able to offer better suggestions, but my guess is a poor hotshoe connection - either not tightened sufficiently or, more likely, over-tightened. Either cause will make sometimes make the camera think that there isn't a flash connected.

There are no benefits to using auto ISO in this situation.

I will check, I should have said that I am doing this via a cable but it worked when I first started.

To try and isolate the problem - what happens when you connect the flash directly in the hotshoe? If the flash communicates with the RP when connected directly that points to the cable being an issue.

With auto ISO if the RP is properly connected to the flash likely it will default to 400 as that has been the standard for Canon for a long time. I would not use auto ISO when using flash.

Sorry I am using the cable that came with the flash to connect it to the camera to get off camera flash. It worked - at first.
Sorry Dave - what kind of cable and where does it connect. Is it a PC sync cable, are you plugging it directly into the camera, or into a hotshoe adaptor, or is it an ettl cable. And what kind of flash?

Last edited:
Canon EOS Speedlite 270EX is the flash, it came with a cable so you can connect it to the hotshoe adapter. It must be an ettl cable as that works sometimes.

Back