Beginner Flash Recommendation and advice.

Name
Eshan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I've been a long time lurker here and after deciding to take my photography to the next level, I have finally joined to ask for assistance and advice from the more advance group of people on here. I have recently purchased a Sony A7mk2 camera with the kit lens and am now wanting to add a speedlite to the kit.

After reading few a posts off here it seems that investing into the Godox system is the way forward. I generally shoot family pics and portraits and ocassionly at family events I like to be the non official photographer where possible (only for my own practise/purpose nothing paid etc).

I mainly shoot with the flash on camera, but hope to progress onto off camera flash photography and build a portfolio on portraits. My inital thought was to purchase the TT685 but after reading a few posts on here it seems that the TT685 is quite a big/heavy flash on a A7 body. Would I be better off purchasing the TT650? Would it be powerful enough to use off camera later on?

The following two idea's are in my mind at the moment:

A) Purchase the TT650 now and then use it as a master trigger later.
B) Purchase the TT685 and where on camera flash is needed possibly have it on a light stand instead??

Hope this makes sense, feel free to ask any questions where I may have left out any info needed.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm assuming you mean the TT350 as the smaller flash (I don't think Godox do a TT650, but I could be wrong, they have a number of similar models).

I have a similar small flash for my A6000 (is the Neewer NW320 - the Godox TT350 hadn't been released when I got it) - which is a similar power, size and weight.
It's great for portability, doesn't overbalance the A6000 (even when tilted to portrait orientation), but it's use is mainly as a bit of fill light, rather than as a main light.

If that's what you are looking for in the first instance, then the Godox TT350 looks to be a good choice.

Having said that, off camera flash is where you want to be thinking - and for that the more powerful TT685 (or better still the V860II, which has a Lithium battery for faster recycle times and a lot more shots per charge than a set of AA's) would be a better choice.

Of course, since it's Godox, you could always get the TT350 now as a small portable flash, then add a TT685 later using the TT350 as a radio trigger, then add a radio trigger so you can use both off camera, then .... :)

Go for the TT685 and a XPro triggers then add an ad200 when funds allow

I'm assuming you mean the TT350 as the smaller flash (I don't think Godox do a TT650, but I could be wrong, they have a number of similar models).

I have a similar small flash for my A6000 (is the Neewer NW320 - the Godox TT350 hadn't been released when I got it) - which is a similar power, size and weight.
It's great for portability, doesn't overbalance the A6000 (even when tilted to portrait orientation), but it's use is mainly as a bit of fill light, rather than as a main light.

If that's what you are looking for in the first instance, then the Godox TT350 looks to be a good choice.

It's to be used as an all rounder tbh if that makes sense so don't really want to be left short of power. Yes I did mean the TT350 :)

Go for the TT685 and a XPro triggers then add an ad200 when funds allow

Do own this flash already being used on a Sony body? How does it feel?

May sound like a stupid question here, but why do people always recommend the AD200? Wouldn't a proper studio head be better value for money overall?

On the A6000 it's big but manageable, the TT350 would be better balanced. Off camera it works great and you dont have to worry about your shutter speed, it goes into HSS mode automaticly. The AD200 packs a Lot of power in a speedlight sized body and has both speedlight (round and normal type)and omni directional heads

As the A7 is slightly bigger than the A6000, would you say the 685 will be better suited?
I live with the inconvienience of it's size on my Fuji X-T'S since the need for power to bounce the light rules out the smaller TT350. It can be done but you run out of power rather fast so I like the bigger ones better. The 685 is also better in and behind modifiers so for allround on and off camera use I really cant see a better buy except if you want the Li-ion V860II. Only if it's exclusively for on camera use and you dont bounce the light is consider the smaller flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the A6000 it's big but manageable, the TT350 would be better balanced. Off camera it works great and you dont have to worry about your shutter speed, it goes into HSS mode automaticly. The AD200 packs a Lot of power in a speedlight sized body and has both speedlight (round and normal type)and omni directional heads
I disagree the TT350 is too small, the recycling time is frustrating. I find I only carry it when I need ‘many’, even with the M5 I’d rather use the 685

I disagree the TT350 is too small, the recycling time is frustrating. I find I only carry it when I need ‘many’, even with the M5 I’d rather use the 685
I think i should emphasize "it" means the tt685. Rereading my post I see it is misleading, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your comments and advise. I have decided to go for the TT685 and the Xpro trigger. This should give me a firm ground to start on.

Good move. I have TT350S, TT685S and AD200. The 685 isn't a problem on my A7R III and I only use the 350 for a little bit of shadow fill when using the AD200s for tabletop work.

Do own this flash already being used on a Sony body? How does it feel?

May sound like a stupid question here, but why do people always recommend the AD200? Wouldn't a proper studio head be better value for money overall?

I could have bought many more cheap lights with cables and no ETTL. First of all I would have no use of them because of the cables. Secondly ad200 has more than enough power for most cases as far me or you are concerned. So in short, no.

Back