Flash stand question

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Sun is out :D

I've been experimenting with off camera flash using my Sb-600 and SC-17 and have had some interesting results.

What I would like to know is, is it possible to use the flash stand whilst using the flash cord together? At the moment I find myself propping the flash up using whatever I can get my hands on and wondered if there was a more suitable solution.

Many thanks

Dave

Yes.

You can either use the screw hole on the bottom of the sc-17 to attach it to a normal camera tripod, or you can buy a 'proper' light stand, a cheap example is http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=105297

this does however leave you shooting just forwards, you need an umbrella swivel adaper to get tilt as well, but this does then let you use an umbrella, which is a really useful light modifier, giving really nice soft light. beware that the ebay ones, unless I am wrong, the sc-17 flash end does not have a cold shoe mount on the bottom, so it will not be compatible with the cheap ebay flash brackets. check out the calumet bracket, I've heard nothing but good things.

Thanks for the reply. I never thought about attaching the cord to a tripod. The one in the link is rather big though! I'll have a hunt for some smaller alternatives.

(y)

Re reading it, I didn't get what your initial question was.

You can't just slide the sc-17 onto the small flash foot that came with your flash sadly, however, you could just go to poundland or similar and pick up one of their mini camera tripods (little 10cm tall jobbies). As for a smaller tripod than the one I linked, try just a normal camera tripod... think there's a link to a good deal for one in the bargains forum on here.

If it's for outdoor macro work then Maplin sell a clamp with a small ballhead on it for a tenner which might be worth a look. They also do one with a flexible arm on it as well, not sure if it would support an SB-600, but worth a look any way...

Back