Flash Sync Speed Problem

Edit My Images
Yes
Today is the first day that I have tried using a flash off camera with an umbrella in order to have my first go at portrait photography, however I ran into a problem I am hoping someone can help me with.

I am using a Canon 30D with a Cactus V2s set. I used the Manual setting of my camera, but found that when taking photos at a shutter speed of 1/250, I was getting a black line (at the bottom of the picture when in landscape orientation). It took up about 1/6 of the image.

From previous reading and messing about when I first got the flash, I understand that it is the shutter not fully open when the flash triggered that is being captured.

I changed my shutter speed to 1/125 and no more black line!

This baffled me as the 30D is supposed to sync at 1/250 and I'm certain it has in the past.

Could the problem have stemmed from the Cactus triggers as they were very hit and miss today - probably due to the doorway between the umbrella / flash combo in the kitchen and me in the dining room with the camera.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this or got an opinion on the matter?

Thanks,

Marco

Yes, this could easily be related to the cactus triggers. Basically, the more you pay for radio triggers the more likely they are not to suffer a long delay.

But it doesn't follow anyway that just because a dedicated hotshoe flash (the only type that Canon acknowledges to exist) will work at 1/250th, that it will also work with a studio flash or a 3rd party brand hotshoe flash at that speed.

And, as I and others are always pointing out, you don't need to use a fast shutter speed unless there are high levels of ambient light. Personally, I nearly always use 1/60th or 1/90th in the studio.

You are right, max sync is 1/250...

Try the cactus riggers under ideal circumstances and see if it still does that?:thinking::shrug:

(y)

Thanks for the reply guys.

Garry, I read the thread about the jumping cheerleaders the other day including your advice. Funny that as a beginner I just panic and think that I must use the sync speed I have read and forget everything else. Will try 1/60 and 1/90 next time as there was very little ambient light.

Anton, will try the flash in a minute in a better setup and see what happens.

Just out of interest, what is the next best trigger up from the Cactus ones? I have heard PWs are the best out there, but my budget (and need) isn't that high - yet!

have you checked the sync speed settings are correct in custom settings on yor camera

I think if you use extended iso range on some Canons it effects sync speed too...so make sure you are on iso100...not 50

have you checked the sync speed settings are correct in custom settings on yor camera

AFAIK and remember correctly, the C Fn setting is only appropriate to limiting sync speed to 1/250 when using flash but worth checking out.

Here's what I would try..
Set up the lights and the camera in the same room, test using 1/250th using triggers. If there is a problem, try it wired.
If not, increase the range untill you get a problem
From that you will be able to determine where the issue is.

Back