Flash Triggers for Canon 5d4 and speedlights

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I am a bit confused.
I need a set of flash triggers to work with my 580 ex ii and 430EX III-RT fired from my Canon 5d3 or 5d4. The issue I have is that I've read that the 5d4 has issues with some triggers sets. All I need is to wireless control the 2 flashes, TTL would be good as a backup but I generally go manual. I used to have a cheap Hahnel set that would wit the 5d3 but these were nicked with a lot of other stuff so I cant check them out with the 5d4. Any advice on what will work, I know the Pocketwizard FlexTT6 will work but even that's confusing as the kit still says I need an mini TT1 transmitter or do you use one of the FlexTT6 as a transmitter. I don't use the triggers all the time so can do without spending £500+ for the FlexTT6.

The world of wireless flash has changed a lot in very recent years. Godox has pretty much taken the entire market by storm and left the old guard flat footed and seemingly unable to match their combination of features, performance and price. Forget Pocket Wizard, too. They shot themselves in the foot some years ago and managed to turn a market-leading position into a mess in record time.

One option might surprise you - sell up and move to Godox. That's what I have done, and many others too.

There are two other options:
- Your 580 will do optical control (old tech) acting as both master trigger and slave; the 430 RT is radio controlled (newer, much better tech) but can also act as an optical slave. So get a Canon ST-E2 (not sure if they're still available new) optical master trigger unit and you're in business, albeit with optical control. If you're happy to have the 580 on-camera or on a dedicated cord, you wouldn't need the ST-E2.
- Or get two Godox radio receiver units, pop them on the bottom of each Canon gun, and add a Godox radio master trigger. You'd then be plugged into the Godox system with a vast range of future options. Phottix might be a similar alternative.

Edit. And a third option:
- You could also go the radio receivers with trigger route with a number of other brands (eg Yongnuo) if you're happy to stick with speedlights. If manual-only triggering is okay (and no remote power control) this would be cheapest.

Check out the Godox range at retailers Lencarta, or Essential Photo (they over-brand with their PixaPro name, but identical kit).

Last edited:
** Or get two Godox radio receiver units, pop them on the bottom of each Canon gun, and add a Godox radio master trigger. You'd then be plugged into the Godox system with a vast range of future options. Phottix might be a similar alternative. **

Great minds eh, after posting yesterday I hit google and started reading and came to that very conclusion, I purchased 1 XPRO-C and 2 X1R-C £124, Amazon prime, arrived today and tested on my 5d3, 5d4 and both work a treat. Bonus is that it also works with my Elinchrom studio lights, trigger only which is fine.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. :)

** Or get two Godox radio receiver units, pop them on the bottom of each Canon gun, and add a Godox radio master trigger. You'd then be plugged into the Godox system with a vast range of future options. Phottix might be a similar alternative. **

Great minds eh, after posting yesterday I hit google and started reading and came to that very conclusion, I purchased 1 XPRO-C and 2 X1R-C £124, Amazon prime, arrived today and tested on my 5d3, 5d4 and both work a treat. Bonus is that it also works with my Elinchrom studio lights, trigger only which is fine.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. :)

Just to check, you mean via their optical slaves?

You'll now be fully aware of the Godox ecosystem that is not only much more extensive than any other brand's but fully compatible from speedlights to studio strobes to powerful battery location flash. Even now, this blindingly obvious need has eluded most other manufacturers who have left us with a pile of expensive flash units and incompatible triggers to cobble together as best we can.

This is all available to you, should you wish for example, to swap out your mains powered heads for battery (eg AD600 or AD400) and use one system to work both in the studio and the great outdoors. I have recently gone 100% battery powered, and that's where I'm headed :)

Last edited:
Back