Flash with bird photography?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I saw a video of a guy using a flash for his bird photography cause the lighting wasn't the the best. He used like the rectangle thing so the flash didn't spread or something. Is this recommended?

All the best

Nick

Opening up a can of worms this is. This subject has been discussed a few times with no right or wrong answer to it. I personnally dont use it as it alarms the birds a little depending on species, others use it with good effect...:shrug:

Ahh right.. So its just one of those things thats good to carry with you just incase its that little too dark?

Also what would that rectangle thing be called?

Thanks for the help.

Nick

The thing you are referring to is probably a flash x-tender

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/diffusers_filters_etc/flash_xtender/12837_p.html

I tend to flash only when the sun is bright and high to reduce contrast a little. Flash set to at least - 2 stops is enough to lift some shadows but not a bright enough burst to startle the bird.

Before I got more knowledge on the subject I did use it more - but I noticed the birds would flinch a bit and the 'flashed' look didn't really flatter the subjects anyway. With ISO 800-1600 being very usable these days I don't ever find I need to use flash as primary exposure.

Ahh right okay, so would people recommend I get a flash with this just incase or is it not worth spending the money?

All the best

Nick

Nick,

What flash do you have now? The bigger speedlights will put out enough light for a light fill flash at most reasonable distances (unless you go high speed sync). Personally I use a flash most of the time when shooting birds or other wildlife. I don't use it as a primary source, rather just enough to lift the darks and make the colors pop a little bit. You'll usually get a nice catchlight in the subject's eye.

Thanks,
Rick

Nick,

What flash do you have now? The bigger speedlights will put out enough light for a light fill flash at most reasonable distances (unless you go high speed sync). Personally I use a flash most of the time when shooting birds or other wildlife. I don't use it as a primary source, rather just enough to lift the darks and make the colors pop a little bit. You'll usually get a nice catchlight in the subject's eye.

Thanks,
Rick

I dont have one at the moment but this is why i posted the status to see if i needed one. But it seems like a handy thing to have with you on a trip. So ill end up getting one i think :)

All the best.

Nick

Opening up a can of worms this is. This subject has been discussed a few times with no right or wrong answer to it. I personnally dont use it as it alarms the birds a little depending on species, others use it with good effect...:shrug:

:plus1: I personally do not use flash either Nick, if the subject or part of it is in shadow then imo that is how it should be portrayed.

Sorry to jump on the thread, but which budget flashes would people recommend with high speed sync?

I would never use a flash on wild birds, that moment of blindness could be all the advantage a predator needs, as this is a hobby, can an image be that important.

It startles me and temporarily blinds me when I am photographed with a flash, so it must have the same effect on a bird.

If close Ish flash can be good for blowing the background and creating light in the eye, captive birds don't appear to mind :)

IMG_9360.jpg

I'm not keen on using flash for the reasons given. The effect on the bird or other animal varies but we can't know the effect before the event.

I was concerned about using flash while photographing a pine marten last week. I let the pine marten feed for a few minutes, thinking if I did scare it off at least it had eaten something.

As it turned out the pine marten ignored the flash completely and continued eating.

Dave

I'm not keen on using flash for the reasons given. The effect on the bird or other animal varies but we can't know the effect before the event.

I was concerned about using flash while photographing a pine marten last week. I let the pine marten feed for a few minutes, thinking if I did scare it off at least it had eaten something.

As it turned out the pine marten ignored the flash completely and continued eating.

Dave

Would i be okay with the 430 if you use a canon one? Cause i dont think i can afford the 580 :/

Nick

Dave

It has the same effect on badgers, they take no notice either :D

It has the same effect on badgers, they take no notice either :D

It has absolutely no effect on 95% of fish either. It does however affect anthias who all retreat into the coral when it goes off. Then again, these also do it with any streak of silver so presumably it triggers a hunter nearby defence response.

If close Ish flash can be good for blowing the background and creating light in the eye, captive birds don't appear to mind :)

IMG_9360.jpg

Did you use flash for this Ryan?

......only I have never used flash when photographing birds as I don't feel it is fair.

This is the same bird without using flash.

Heather

Saxon 1000 by Tigertail.ufo, on Flickr

Yes flash was used, the captives don't seem to mind, saying that Samson is such a tart he loves his photo being taken :)

Back