Fleetwood's Churches

Edit My Images
No
Project Brief: To photograph the inside of all of the churches within Fleetwood and to supply a brief history.
Project Link: http://www.alanduggan-photography.co.uk/#fleetwoods_churches

So far I have managed to photograph 6 of the churches within Fleetwood so the project is still in progress and I will make sure to update this thread when I have more to show.

So far I have photographed....

St Nicholas, St Edmund's, St Mary's, St Wulstan's, The Mount Methodist and Emmanuel Church.

Here are a few photo's from the churches so far, more can be seen on my site via the link above.

19520310605_3bfba978c0_o.jpg

19951606661_f3818beece_o.jpg

20023648296_07805b53a4_o.jpg

St Nicholas Church Fleetwood External.jpg

IMG_6420-HDR.jpg

All feedback is very welcome.

Alan

To be honest I don't think the pictures on here do your project justice. I've had a look at your website and there's some cracking shots on there. It's nice to see a project that's a historical record that will be of benefit to others in the future. I like the brief histories as it gives some background and context to the building and I liked the way you included some personal links as well.

I really liked the photo's inside St Nicholas, particularly the close ups. For me these were the best collection.

The shots of the Methodist Church seemed a tad under exposed to me, although that did give the shot of the staircase (the one in your post above) a sense of atmosphere. In fact that's the one I prefer the most in your post. I think the collection could have maybe done with some detail, close up shots.

I enjoyed the shots of Emmanuel Church, particularly the stain glass window and the square on shot of the ceiling rose (if that's what it's called).

It would be nice to see some more shots inside St Edmunds, perhaps some close up detail shots again?

A nice collection for St Wulstan's. They gave a good feel for the church and how it looks inside. Well captured I thought.

I also liked the collection for St Mary's. You have a nice mixture of view points and angles. For me this is the collection that best fits your brief.

I would see this as a project that could grow over time. Perhaps a collection of close ups of items within each church, such as crosses, windows, fonts, pulpits etc.

Nice to see this. Churches was one of my must do projects last year but I never followed it up. You have fuelled my inspiration.

I like this kind of documentary project. I'm not sure that the dramatic perspectives of some of the outdoor shots suit churches as a subject though.

To be honest I don't think the pictures on here do your project justice. I've had a look at your website and there's some cracking shots on there. It's nice to see a project that's a historical record that will be of benefit to others in the future. I like the brief histories as it gives some background and context to the building and I liked the way you included some personal links as well.

I really liked the photo's inside St Nicholas, particularly the close ups. For me these were the best collection.

The shots of the Methodist Church seemed a tad under exposed to me, although that did give the shot of the staircase (the one in your post above) a sense of atmosphere. In fact that's the one I prefer the most in your post. I think the collection could have maybe done with some detail, close up shots.

I enjoyed the shots of Emmanuel Church, particularly the stain glass window and the square on shot of the ceiling rose (if that's what it's called).

It would be nice to see some more shots inside St Edmunds, perhaps some close up detail shots again?

A nice collection for St Wulstan's. They gave a good feel for the church and how it looks inside. Well captured I thought.

I also liked the collection for St Mary's. You have a nice mixture of view points and angles. For me this is the collection that best fits your brief.

I would see this as a project that could grow over time. Perhaps a collection of close ups of items within each church, such as crosses, windows, fonts, pulpits etc.

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such detailed feedback. I have to agree totally with one of your main points raised about detailed shots. I really do need to do this more in the next churches that I photograph and maybe even revisit some of the ones I have already covered.

The Mount church was very enclosed and dark and I found myself struggling a little to get some night light shots from there. I was not overly happy with the end results if I am honest.

Thanks again for the reply, you have made some very valid points.

Some very nice shots you have taken.

Thanks SlimShaney.

Nice to see this. Churches was one of my must do projects last year but I never followed it up. You have fuelled my inspiration.

I hope to see some from you soon :)

I like this kind of documentary project. I'm not sure that the dramatic perspectives of some of the outdoor shots suit churches as a subject though.

Thanks Ed glad you like the project.... I have to disagree on the point of the perspective but we all have different views on what style would fit best and that is what keeps things interesting.

Thanks all for the great feedback.

Alan

Just up the road from me this.. about 5 miles or so. :)

My advice is.... you're loading it up with aesthetics.. dramatic angles, heavy processing etc. Strip it back. Shoot the outside and inside of the buildings like typologies... like The Bechers do.. Straighten out the perspective. If using a wide lens, don't point it up or down... get it parallel to the ground... maintain verticals.

Strip way back on the processing.

Also... it's dry. Where are the people? Why not have a chat with the clergy, get some portraits. Detail shots. Include historical documents (not everything in a project has to be your shot, or even a photograph... give it context).

Imagine I know nothing about Fleetwood churches.... actually, you'd not be far wrong... then teach me... show me... let me experience it... and the people... the feel of the place... the characters.

[edit]

Lose the watermark. This is not commercial photography... Serious project led documentary imagery doesn't have watermarks all over it.

Last edited:
Back