Critique Flooded road

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out early last Sunday for a non-existent sunrise but found a flooded road which I think made for some nice reflections in the murky light

It is a tidal flood so am keen to visit this spot again so comments very welcome

Floodland by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

I like it. Just needs the levels sorting, and maybe lose the lamp post stage right, and some litter picking stage left.

Last edited:
I like it Craig, nice one Andrew :)

O/P has requested 'No' to editing!

Blacks weren't clipped, quite the opposite in fact.

Noe you have me wondering. Am I using the terminology the wrong way around?

I always took "clipped" to mean not being able to represent the full real dynamic range of the scene. Blown highlights would be clipping, shifting the blacks like in the OP is the same thing with not being able to represent the black, instead representing it as grey.

Cheers folks, useful stuff

Should have added, I got there and the light and tide were gone in a few minutes

By black clipping, do you mean darken the blacks? I can see what you mean but quite liked the dreamy look on this although am beginning to think I do take out too much black and highlights sometimes

I like it. Just needs the levels sorting, and maybe lose the lamp post stage right, and some litter picking stage left.

Yeah that lamp post is a bit of a pain, I have cropped it out quite a lot already.

I think could give some more thought to the angle next time

I could have got rid of the litter now you say it, might have got a bit wet or could just clone it out

I like it Craig, nice one Andrew :)

Thanks

Oops. Big error on my part. Edit deleted. Apologies to the op.

Don't worry, I am new here so hadn't worked out the settings. Would like to see it now

By black clipping, do you mean darken the blacks? I can see what you mean but quite liked the dreamy look on this although am beginning to think I do take out too much black and highlights sometimes

I like what you did with the blacks. The edit by Craig turned them back into black but I preferred your version.

Lovely atmopheric image. Light on the car windscreen is great.

Gaz

Noe you have me wondering. Am I using the terminology the wrong way around?

I always took "clipped" to mean not being able to represent the full real dynamic range of the scene. Blown highlights would be clipping, shifting the blacks like in the OP is the same thing with not being able to represent the black, instead representing it as grey.
Clipped shadows/blacks are areas of the image that are completely black, lacking any detail. This image was nowhere near clipped and all the detail was present. All I did was shift the black point back towards the edge of the histogram to darken the blacks, but not too far as to clip them. Hope this makes sense.

Clipped shadows/blacks are areas of the image that are completely black, lacking any detail. This image was nowhere near clipped and all the detail was present. All I did was shift the black point back towards the edge of the histogram to darken the blacks, but not too far as to clip them. Hope this makes sense.

Yep it does. I think I was using the terminology wrong! What's the correct term for doing what the OP did, shifting the blacks into the greys?

Is this the original or edited? I do like the lights but looks a little bit grey to me.

Mushed blacks is quite a popular thing lately and whilst i actually quite like alot of these images and yes it's all subjective, i think sometimes it's suited to certain images.

I remember seeing this image when it was first posted, i thought i had commented but i guess it didnt post, i like the image, i kinda like the dreamy look too..BUT lol... i also remember seeing @Craig20264 original edit and whilst it perhaps had lost a dreamy look i think it suited the image better... as in you could take in the flooded scene and detail more.

Special quality about this image, lighting lovely; very subtle tones and the streetlamp reflections are complete throughout.

Just needs straightening now, or is the lean to tip the water back into the river ;)
Possibly half a degree out, going by the post on the left, but you show me a horizon line, and I'll straighten it for you old fruit ;)

The edit is great.... Like a different picture!

Apologies for the delay in coming back - been away - but thanks for the feedback and I like the edit too

Like a different a photo almost but all subjective really. Am going to aim to back there at some in the summer, maybe an evening instead

Back