Beginner Fluid video head for long(ish) lenses.

Name
Laurence
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to into some wildlife video making over the autumn and winter period instead of sitting indoors and scowling at the light!
I'll be using my Sony mirrorless bodies, A9 and A6500 on the Sony 200 600.
I tried out panning and tilting on my gimbal head (Flexshooter) which although excellent for stills didn't give me the fluidity I want for videos.
I have been looking at both the Manfrotto and Benro offerings and I'd be grateful if anyone here has had any experience of using fluid video heads with long lenses.

I have the Manfrotto MVH 500 AH.

Bought it to use with me spotting scope but regularly put me D500 and 150-600 on it, works well (y)

Excellent, thanks

Laurence, I bought a long QR plate off ebay, only about 8 quid from memory, I needed one anyway to save me swapping from scope. It sits the camera fairly well back and balances up nicely at 600mm without needing a lot of tension set on the head, makes it very smooth when tracking.

Obviously balance point will probably be different with the Sony body and lens but thought I'd mention it (y)

I had a good look at that Manfrotto but it's a bit low on the maximum payload for me. In the end I bought a Benro S7 fluid video head on ebay from SRS Microsystems of Watford, got a good bargain from their ebay site, much lower than their website!

Back