Flying high

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
Guess what, it's motocross season :D Got introduced to the owner of the club, the guy who does the website and got a pile of folk asking about the pics I've posted on their forum. Progress at last :)

Conditions were dreadful. ISO 800 and with the 100-400 wide open was regularly down to 1/80. Wish I'd went for the 70-200 F2.8 and a 1.4X :(

This is the first of the keepers, it's not perfect at all but I think it sums up what these guys are all about :) Might post some more when I've had a chance to go through them properly.

IMG_8672.jpg

Edit, had to add this
IMG_8419.jpg

both are very good Dod, why dont you like the first

That second shot is great - despite all the mud you still picked the biker out with strong vibrant colour:thumb:

Shows the reality of that sport, how much of that stuff hit you?
:shock:

Both excellent shots as they capture the moment & mood.

the pannings a wee bit off Matty. Having said that, that guy came second in the class A's. They're taking that jump at between 40 and 50 MPH about 20 feet from you so could be worse I suppose, and I've plenty evidence to back it up. :doh:

Brilliant action shots dod............good to hear doors maybe opening for you:thumb:

How much mud do you get covered in?;)

Dod,
Nice shots (you have some great ones in your album too).:thumb:

I've been to a couple of MX races with the camera last year and found it difficult to get real close to the action...the organisers are more safetly concious than they were a few years ago (public liability and all that I suppose).

p.s. I have an MXer (KTM 450) and its an absolute beast (been on it today:D ). All I can say is mx is a LOT harder than it looks, I've certainly found that out. I don't race, a few of us bought a bike each for a laugh - and we certainly laugh at how naff we all are compared to the kids:embarasse

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comments guys.

"I could have been a contender"If I hadn't fallen off and flooded it :(

IMG_7910.jpg

Good shots in your 1st post dod but the guy above is so sharp he has probably cut himself...:thumb:

Nice work..:)

Absolutey cracking first set of action shots Dods - look forward to following the season with you !

Btb - they are all great imo matey ! And all for such different reasons too.

And good luck now you have a foot in the door ...

I think the 1st shot is great!!

The slight blurring gives a great sense of motion and speed :thumb:

Love the first and completely agree about the blur adding to it.

Also liking the 3rd shot..very sharp and lovely colours..

3rd shot shows you've got this sport tied down ......now just remember to shout to yourself "SHOW ME THE MONEY" ;)

Some nice work there Dod, look forward to seeing more MX shots in the future. :)

Thanks for the comments folks, really planning to do a lot more of this year, different tracks etc.

Haven't had a chance to work through them all yet but there's a few of the more obviously okay ones here

i LOVE the second one - mud glorious mud!!! :) Excellent how the bike still shows vividly through the dirt!

dod said:
but there's a few of the more obviously okay ones here

I say Dod - some really stunning shots in this little lot - must have been hard to pick out just one or two to post ?

You seem to be getting the art off to a tee !

Venomator said:

LOL, I had about 1200 to choose from, even I could get one or two from that ;) Sounds a lot but with 18 races, 20 riders a race, roughly, it's easy to get through a lot of shots. Card space is a limiting factor, I've got 3GB and filled it on sunday with 3 races left.

Updated my gallery on here though, easier to navigate :)

dod said:
LOL, I had about 1200 to choose from, even I could get one or two from that ;) Sounds a lot but with 18 races, 20 riders a race, roughly, it's easy to get through a lot of shots. Card space is a limiting factor, I've got 3GB and filled it on sunday with 3 races left.

Updated my gallery on here though, easier to navigate :)

Like er wow - a lot of pics from one shoot - being curious/nosey (but interested !) could I aks what you shoot on i.e. RAW or JPEG and what size/quality if the latter ?

started off on large jpeg and realised I'd have to economise. Ended up small JPEG. Never bother with RAW for this, too much time processing

Venomator said:

Have you seen his macro work, never mind the bikes..:)

Excellent shots Dod , wish there was a motoX track near here :(

dod said:
started off on large jpeg and realised I'd have to economise. Ended up small JPEG. Never bother with RAW for this, too much time processing

Get a photo storage device , the idea of missing shots because all your cards are full is BAD :banghead:

mrgubby said:
Get a photo storage device , the idea of missing shots because all your cards are full is BAD :banghead:
I know, just got too many other outgoings just now though, the vet's got enough money from me in the last two months to near enough pay for a 1D MkII :(

Ouch...the time when you wished you had insurance....../says man who cancelled his 2 years ago :whistle2:

Actually Dod, after reading up on some Photo Web Design company offerings, I think you could be on to a winner with your shots. Imagine having a site with all the decent images stored for viewing (with obligatory copyright across shot). The viewer then has option to purchase a web version shot/s (eg. 1000 pixels), or a print/s. The site then takes payment via Credit card / Paypal & emails photo/s or sends images with delivery address to processing lab for them to print & ship.

All the above is possible for not huge money, from what I can see. The advantage of such an automated method is you can concentrate on taking the shots & only admin is to upload :) . At every event you then hand out flyers / business cards with your website, making it easy for people to find the shots of their heroes / kids / hubbies etc, which will inevitably end up in a sale (fingers crossed).

Truly think you could be on to some good money :thumb:

DJW said:
Ouch...the time when you wished you had insurance....../says man who cancelled his 2 years ago :whistle2:
We've got insurance for the horses, they're trying to wriggle out, one bill alone before we even had a diagnosis was £650, the medication comes in at £350 a month. :(

:shock: No chance of my daughter having a pony when she's older then !!

dod said:
There are a couple of guys do that already. Think there's also a guy using photobox. That's one of the problems I've had, they've came from that environment, they know a lot of the guys who race already.

http://www.ecossepix.co.uk/Motocross2006/Lochhouses-020106/LochhousesClassesAB020106/index.html

No offence but the 1st links shots are very poor & even 2nd link, I believe your shots are better. Also their website is appalling & still a manual process of sending form etc. Get in there & kick some a$$ !!!

Great shots Dod, like the second with all the mud flying.

Back