FOA BerraSM

S

Steve

I have just had a look at your website and at the “big air” video of the remote control cars. I have had some experience with these in the past but never done anything as mental as that. :shock:

What’s the story here, how did you get into it, how long have you been into them, won any comps or are you stuck behind the lens. What are the cars? I would be very interested to read your reply.

For everyone else here that read this, may I recommend you take a quick peek at the video. The second car is just mad :)

It can be seen here

Hiya, thanks for showing interest. I will post a proper reply later on, i'm just about to leave for work :)

What’s the story here, how did you get into it, how long have you been into them

Well, i actually got into RC cars about 5 years ago when i was in school. The first ever car i bought was a Traxxas nitro 4 tec but soon got bored because i had no one to run with. A year or so later i decided to by a monster truck (Traxxas T-maxx) to get back into the hobbie. I am still into the RC cars and go to the track featured in that video pretty much every weekend when its open (closed at the moment for maintenance)

That track (Essex monster and off road club) is just about to start its second season in a few weekends, with a main event happening pretty much straight away on the 24th April 2005, the event is a 12 hour endurance event with all profits going to 'Save the children' There will be a few 'national' drivers coming down to take part aswell which will be sweet.

won any comps or are you stuck behind the lens

I have never participated in any 'national' events, purely because of the fact that i am not that good, well, i thought i was OK, but we had 3 guys who race in the nationals turn up at the track for the day, they were smashing my best lap by atleast 6-7 seconds.

Im not always stuck behind the lens, although i do like to get behind it while racing is taking place. What i do try and do is, when im not racing, pitting or marshalling, is to just get on the track and snap away....you gotta love digital.

What are the cars

The 'cars' that are used are called buggies (1/8th scale) and monster trucks (1/8th or 1/10th scale) Recently there has been many rc companies releasing all sorts of types of vehicles so it wouldnt surprise me if there was going to be more class' to accomodate for them....

If i have left anything out or you want to ask some more questons just fire away, i will also be putting a few pictures up from the last few weekends at the park while i am waiting for the track to open :)

Mark

17s.jpg

1s.jpg

2s.jpg

5s.jpg

8s.jpg

Thanks for the detailed reply, good luck with the fundraising event. What a great way to have fun and raise money for a worthy event.

Your second picture of the “buggy” ;) in flight is brilliant. The way it has been captured in the top of the frame really adds to the sense of it having big air. The motion blur on the wheels while the car being pins sharp really adds to this, many peopel struggle to get shots as good as this from real cars that are only moving accros frame, with this shot you also had to cope with the subject being much smaller and it having the vertical movement. This really is a great photo. :)

I presume that the buggys come in four and two wheel versions? What sort of costs are we looking for to get started in this hobby?

The second picture is of a HPI savage, i must admit, that is the best picture i have taken to date.

Now, most of the Monster trucks are 4 wheel drive, the only one that i am aware of that is two wheel drive is the Traxxas Sport-maxx. The HPI is 4 wheel drive and IMO is one of the best on the market.

The 1/8th scale buggys are all 4 wheel drive, the only ones that are 2 wheel drive are the 1/10th scale buggies.

Right, as for costs, i would say £400 gets you the truck/buggy (whatever you decide) and all the neccessary parts to get it running.

Take a look at www.modelsport.co.uk for some prices, they seem to be the best online shop for kits.

Cheers for the reply, much appreciated. If I had some free time (what a dream ;)) I would probably look into the RC world again.

Back