Beginner Focus points

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
Today I've been trying to use focus points on both manual and automatic to see what the difference looks like In images and also in different focus points. I assumed that by using a specific point that area would be focused but in my pictures it didn't seem to follow suit. Is there a reason for this or is it just practice and patience. Another point I should make is on my camera (D3300) is says the view finder should flash green when ready but it's never done this in what ever setting I've tried but when it's flashed red the picture has come out focused (not always I'm still practicing focus). I hope I'm not being stupid.

When the focus point lights red, isn't there a green dot appears at the bottom of the viewfinder?

Perhaps there is I will have a look, I've probably been looking in the wrong place. Thanks x

Thank you!! This is fantastic and has helped me so much! Can I ask if I use auto focus is there no benefit to using manual focus?

There are uses, for manual focus, but you would be well advised to use auto focus until such times as you are comfortable focusing and know when it is appropriate to use manual focus. One step at a time my friend.

Hi, when you use live view the little green focus square will flash green for focused and red when it isn't. Somewhere in the menu you can turn on the range finder setting, this helps when looking through the viewfinder using manual focus, if you look for rangefinder in the manual it will probably make more sense than me :eek:.

Thank you!! This is fantastic and has helped me so much! Can I ask if I use auto focus is there no benefit to using manual focus?

Sometimes, but it can be a challenge. Film SLR's had big/bright viewfinders, and their focus screens (some were interchangeable) often had microprism and split image focus aids. The lenses we used with them were designed for manual focus too, and usually had smooth, well damped, focus rings with quite long travel. Crop DSLRs have small/dim viewfinders, and a lot of modern lenses seem to have manual focus capability added as a bit of an afterthought!

Manual focus can be useful in macro photography, because the subjects are small/tiny and you're working at very close distances with limited depth of field. Auto focus may not lock on to the subject properly. It's often easier to move the camera slightly though.

Manual focus can be useful in macro photography

It's very useful for landscape too and most things that don't actually move as you can zoom in on the LCD and adjust the focus on the subject to be sharp. Tripod is required for these though.

It's very useful for landscape too and most things that don't actually move as you can zoom in on the LCD and adjust the focus on the subject to be sharp. Tripod is required for these though.

Very true. Didn't cross my mind as I don't have a camera with live view, and i don't do much landscape photography.

Back