Beginner Focus Problem

Edit My Images
Yes
I use the ‘back button sight’ on my camera.

When I press the focus button I always keep it pressed down while I move the camera to follow the front of a train.

Is that right or wrong?

I ask this because when I press the focus button on the front of the train the focus point does not follow the train.

If you aren't engaging tracking, then you need to move the camera.

Please see my 2 photos.

The first one is where I pressed the focus button, kept it pressed down while I move the camera to follow the front of a train.

But if you look at the second photo, the focus point did not follow it, why is that?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 27
But if you look at the second photo, the focus point did not follow it, why is that?

The camera has kept the same focal point. You haven't panned the camera correctly.

Last edited:
You need to change the focus mode - it’ll be called wide area tracking or something similar.
Or you need to pan your camera so that your selected focus point stays on the item you want in focus.

For more accurate guidance you’ll need to tell us what camera, exactly what you want to achieve and the details of the mode you’ve chosen.

You need to change the focus mode - it’ll be called wide area tracking or something similar.
Or you need to pan your camera so that your selected focus point stays on the item you want in focus.

For more accurate guidance you’ll need to tell us what camera, exactly what you want to achieve and the details of the mode you’ve chosen.

My camera is Canon 5D MK IV (new for me).

If I take say 10 photos of a moving steam train, I would like to have every photo to be sharp on the front of the train.

Please can you give me the details I need and tell me where on the camera I can find the settings for it, thank you. There is no rush.

Please can you give me the details I need and tell me where on the camera I can find the settings for it, thank you. There is no rush.

I've given you the answer twice now. You need to pan correctly.

My camera is Canon 5D MK IV (new for me).

If I take say 10 photos of a moving steam train, I would like to have every photo to be sharp on the front of the train.

Where you’ve chosen single point focus, you need to change that to a different setting. I’ve not got that camera; but I reckon the Mfn button will cycle through focus patterns.
The other option as both I and Mark posted is to ensure when panning that your chosen focus point stays on your subject.

If you’re still struggling; I’ll happily come and shoot them for you at the going rate (c £500 a day).

You seem to be expecting the autofocus point to change automatically to track the point on the train where you initially focused.

The 5d4 can not do that. Most cameras can not do that.

The camera does have a certain amount of tracking but is limited to a defined set of focus points or focus area and will only ensure the nearest point remains in focus.

Last edited:
If I were doing this I would be using single point focus and panning to keep that point on the front of the train. Actually, I use single point focus all the time anyway; thinking back, I don't recall ever NOT using single point focus..

Last edited:
We still have the 5D mark 4 and AF tacking is quite good. Here is one of the canon videos how to use it, there will be other videos on YouTube.
View: https://youtu.be/cWc0O_i65MM

Selecting point AF, maintaining focus on that point and panning as others have mentioned is a good option too.

You seem to be expecting the autofocus point to change automatically to track the point on the train where you initially focused.

The 5d4 can not do that. Most cameras can not do that.

The camera does have a certain amount of tracking but is limited to a defined set of focus points or focus area and will only ensure the nearest point remains in focus.

Yes it can. And so can most cameras of its vintage and later.

It just needs to be set up correctly.

I think part of the answer is asking the thumb to do 2 things.... If the camera is set up in whatever Canon call AF-C mode (continuous AF - other half uses 5D4 and it is alien technology) your thumb can go to the toggle that moves the AF focus point...that depends on whether the back button focussing allows you to track moving items using the shutter button (I am in Nikon mode now..).. On a DSLR you should be able to move the focus point to where the front of the train is quite easily (not quite as far as you would on mirrorless)...

So, once you have focus acquired, and in Servo AF(? is that it?) mode you should be able to use your thumb to move the focus point and keep on firing...

I have a 5D Mk IV and set the back button focusing as described in a You Tube by Tony and Chelsea Northrup. One button is set for a one of focus and once you release the focus stays the same which is ideal for studio work and other general photography. The other button is set to track focus and works very well for birds in flight as it continues to track the object.

The camera is more than capable of what you want but the menus can appear a little daunting. I thought that Tony Northrup explained it well and have not needed to revisit these settings now used for several years.

Dave

The best method is to select a photo point and move the camera to keep that point where you want it

Also have camera in ai servo focus mode.

That's pretty much what I suggested because it is much easier and simple for a beginner to cope with than setting up tracking.

I don't know how similar the focussing modes are between the 1DX II and the 5D 4. For the 1DX II, Canon published this fairly extensive guide as a free PDF, which may be worth you reading as there are quite a lot of settings, and the nuances of each mode isn't necessarily explained well in the user manual which most people haven't read.

Download here: https://media.canon-asia.com/local/asia/live/pdf/EOS_AFguidefor1DXII_E_ver1.pdf

Back