Focussing problems on the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII that I must admit doesn't get as much use as it deserves. I recently noticed that there seems to be a problem with the autofocus, it doesn't autofocus at all until I play with the manual focus ring a bit, when it then starts working again. It is out of warrantee but only a couple of years old.

Is this an issue anybody else has had?

I guess there is little I can do other than send it to Nikon for repair?

ShawWellPete said:
I've got a Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII that I must admit doesn't get as much use as it deserves. I recently noticed that there seems to be a problem with the autofocus, it doesn't autofocus at all until I play with the manual focus ring a bit, when it then starts working again. It is out of warrantee but only a couple of years old.

Is this an issue anybody else has had?

I guess there is little I can do other than send it to Nikon for repair?

Make sure you give the contacts a good clean first. Amazing how a little grime can affect things.

Not an issue I've had with the 70-200 though I did with a 300 f2.8 and that had to go to Fixation, not much change from £200.

I have tried cleaning the contacts and that didn't help (good idea though (y)). Looks like another January bill on the way!

Sorry to dig up a old thread but my 70-200 VR mk2 is doing the exact same thing yours was doing. What was the issue in the end?

Long tome ago! Pretty sure I just got it fixed somewhere but can’t remember where

Sorry i did realise before i commented it was a long time ago. Thats litteraly exactly what mine is doing though down to a T. Ill have to send it off to Nikon i guess.

Back