focussing speed of 30D vs 40D

Yes. I found the 40D to be quicker and more accurate by a noticable amount. The upgraded AF sensors in the 40D really help tracking across frame. My keeper rate for runners has improved by around 50% (y)

I'm thinking about changing from the 30d to the 40d myself and the post from pxl8 has just put another nail in the 30d coffin.
Andrew i've read somewhere that the claimed 6.5 fps is not achievable i don't know if anyone else has come across this as it's one of the 40d main selling points.

The 40D rate is def. faster than the 30D. For runners it's useful to grab a 3 frame burst so you get the right moment when they are rising off the back foot. But I can see why that's not necessary for cars, bikes, etc.

I'm thinking about changing from the 30d to the 40d myself and the post from pxl8 has just put another nail in the 30d coffin.
Andrew i've read somewhere that the claimed 6.5 fps is not achievable i don't know if anyone else has come across this as it's one of the 40d main selling points.

Review on DP Review states more like 6fps. I have access to a 40D and it is not far short of a 1DII. It's still quick for those bird take off moments

Cant comment about the 30D, but compared to the 20D (which i believe has the same focussing internals) the 40D is streets ahead.

At full chunter with an extreme IV card I get 17 (ish) RAW+smallJPG shots before the buffer starts to fill. Thats nearly 3 seconds worth. During which time the AF servo tracks objects that the 20D
would have missed entirely (typically > 2/3 of them come out sharp).

Review on DP Review states more like 6fps. I have access to a 40D and it is not far short of a 1DII. It's still quick for those bird take off moments

It's that Kingfisher hitting the water shot that i need the extra frame count for. and yes i would buy a new camera just to help me get that shot.

The 40D is quicker to focus, especially noticable in low light conditions, and I find it holds the lock better as well.

I've got both the 30D and 40D. When I got the 40D I took a trip to RAF Cottesmore and tested out the AF on a couple Harriers taking off. Using AI Servo at f/7.1 and f/5.6 (the cross type AF points work at f/5.6). I was pleased with the results especially the cross type AF performance.

I use servo focusing a lot on both the 20D and and the 1DMK2n. The servo system on the 20D while very capable is quite notchy if you pan around a scene- there's a slight delay if you pan from one focused object to another at a different distance, while the 1D MK2n maintains focus more smoothly and seamlessy.

Since the AF system on the 40D had been brought more in line with the 1 series, that's the sort of improved performance you should expect, that's going to be my excuse for getting one anyway. ;)

Using AI Servo at f/7.1 and f/5.6 (the cross type AF points work at f/5.6).

For clarity, the cross type sensors work all the time if the lens is f/5.6 or faster - you don't need to shoot at f/5.6 for them to work. The centre point also employs a diagonal sensor if the lens is f/2.8 or faster and really makes a difference in low light.

Just come back from doing a lot of bird and wildlife in the Antarctic, used my 40D which was absolutely excellent, 6.5 fps is, I reckon, realistically all you need, the camera was superb, only comment was the build quality isn't up to 1's, but then neither is the price!!

Back