Football Photography - D300 or D2H?

Name
Oliver Todd
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok,

Had my heart set on the D300 but have recently been advised to go for a second-hand D2H by a pro freelance football photographer, due to pro camera's having faster focus and more fps and a 200mm fixed lens AFS.

Just wanted to gauge the opinion of others on the subject, so please, go ahead.

Cheers.

Maybe a D2Hs, not a D2H. A D300 with the MB-D10 grip will do the same fps but at 3 times the resolution...

so its an issue of whether or not the resolution difference is worth the price difference!

I was considering the D300 because oof its faster focus, but then the D700 came along, but then again there is a massive price difference.
Not that this helps your quiry..

I'm really keen on the D300 and the grip but I want to wait until it drops in price a tiny bit because its a bit expensive for me at the moment :crying:

Although normally with sport you would go for the faster FPS my advice would be to go for more megapixels,unless you are really good you will leave space around the original shot and crop later so those extra pixies become very useful

out of the 2 i would go for the d300 due to better ISO controlls.

remember the d300 only offers the high fps when its used with either AA batteries or ENEL4 NOT the EN-EL3e which i thought was a bit cheaky as i didnt find this out untill i RTFM!

but i just this second came across this link, they rekon you can get 9fps without the grip

http://blog.nlphotographers.com/?p=19

Thanks for the replies, and cheers to DoubleT for the link. All interesting and helpful stuff.

According to this pro, I shouldn't "get suckered into some of the sub par sport photos you see on flickr or in the news papers as they are cropped to show a specific moment and nothing else. Crop is used for last resort and you should always be mindful that the photo should be almost complete in the frame you shoot in."

Make any difference? Or is he talking rubbish? :shrug:

Surely that would mean that the resoloution difference is of almost no use?:shrug:

ok, to avoid any cropping match your camera with a nikon 200-400mm, that way you can zoom to each end of the pitch!
a 200mm prime will not be good enough unless your the ref? lol

but ive never shot a football match so im not talking from experiance.

The D2h is a great camera but has seen better days, especially in low light. To be fair, the camera only stands up well upto ISO 400. After that it is too noisy. Also, the screen is woeful by todays standards.

However, it is still a great camera in the right hands.

I concur that a D300 would be a much better buy. The H just does not render detail like the newer high res cameras though flickr makes everything look great.

I used an H back in the summer when all of my Nikon kit was being serviced an got this stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolpete/2562261291/in/set-72157603732902788/

There are a few taken on the D2h over a two week period. They are all tagged with Nikon D2H for you to have a look at.

Not sure if you would consider it below par flickr stuff however. I dont :D

Hope that this helps.

Not sure if you would consider it below par flickr stuff however. I dont :D

Aha, not my opinion, just relaying someone else's onto you. :D

General consensus seems to be although D2H is a great camera, it can't stand up to the D300 and in general, the new high res cameras.(y)

Cheers for everyones help. If anyone could add anymore, I'd be more than grateful.

I use D2H and I love it its the fastest camera I have come across but dont let the 4.1mp sensor put you off its still one of the best out there and as for low light there is always flash.... yes the D3OO is ace but if like me you are on a budjet then you could pick one up for 5-600 quid

Thanks for the replies, and cheers to DoubleT for the link. All interesting and helpful stuff.

According to this pro, I shouldn't "get suckered into some of the sub par sport photos you see on flickr or in the news papers as they are cropped to show a specific moment and nothing else. Crop is used for last resort and you should always be mindful that the photo should be almost complete in the frame you shoot in."

Make any difference? Or is he talking rubbish? :shrug:

Surely that would mean that the resoloution difference is of almost no use?:shrug:

All very well for the pro ith his D3 or 1DSmk3 and his wopping great zooms but most of us live iun the real world and have to make compromises of which cropping is one.

Well, that guy is only saying the same thing as many (real, proper) pro motorsport togs have said to me.

They all believe that the art of photography is getting it right when you take it - and that includes framing your shot.

However, this also means super long lenses...

The crop tool is the poor man's Canon 1200mm (y)

All very well for the pro ith his D3 or 1DSmk3 and his wopping great zooms but most of us live iun the real world and have to make compromises of which cropping is one.

I think the pro that is in mention in fact uses a D2H. He is giving his opinion and advice to what could be an aspiring sports photographer. Surely he should tell his honest opinion? :LOL:

Hi , used D2h, D2hs, D2x, D300 & D700 all for sports. The D2h is a good camera for its 2nd hand price but a D300 & grip just totally blows it away. Anything over ISO 400 on a D2h and your looking at serious grain. If you can't afford a D700 then D300 & grip is the way to go. As for the Pro, I think theres an agenda there, I crop my images and the papers & mags pick them up with no problems...esp for newspaper work he's talking pants....

Iain

As for the Pro, I think theres an agenda there, I crop my images and the papers & mags pick them up with no problems...esp for newspaper work he's talking pants....

Iain

If he is using a D2H, for him cropping ability will be seriously limited! So in his situation its perfectly true wheres with a D3 cropping capabilities are almost unlimited!

Crop is used for last resort and you should always be mindful that the photo should be almost complete in the frame you shoot in."

I was talking in general regards cropping for sports but yes on a D2h , you would be pretty limited.

Iain

Sorry, only just seen the replies to this. Mr MacIntosh, your comments are most useful. I've decided to go for a D300 now. Just need to decide on a lens and then get haggling!

Cheers.

Sorry, only just seen the replies to this. Mr MacIntosh, your comments are most useful. I've decided to go for a D300 now. Just need to decide on a lens and then get haggling!

Cheers.

For sport I find my 70-300 VR gives me great versatility and quality. If you have a bigger budget the 70-200 f2.8 wouldn't be a bad purchase! Depends if you want prime lenses or the versatility of a zoom lens!

For sport I find my 70-300 VR gives me great versatility and quality. If you have a bigger budget the 70-200 f2.8 wouldn't be a bad purchase! Depends if you want prime lenses or the versatility of a zoom lens!

I use a D2H and a D2X, and they are both superb instruments.

The D2H is blazingly fast, and frankly, I like the IQ it produces.

When it was introduced, it was THE tool for sports togs. Everyone raved about it, and the quality it produced.

It's still the same camera, and still very capable.

Depends if its just football your doing? personally I would be tempted to get a D300 as its my feeling that the DH2 has seen better days, good camera in the right hands but struggles to keep up with todays cameras.

At first, it's likely to be mostly football stuff but I guess I would like to branch out into a couple of other things and for that reason I think I'll go for the D300. Thanks to everyone who commented. :clap:

Back