For £500, what could i get?

Edit My Images
Yes
This is not a wanted ad.
I want to buy everything i need: Body (all essential accessories) and lens.
I would buy the body and lens separately unless i found a deal including the sigma 17-70mm, which is what i want.
To buy this lens used, and to buy a used body all for about £500 (maximum) what body options do i have?

Thanks for any help.

This is not a wanted ad.
I want to buy everything i need: Body (all essential accessories) and lens.
I would buy the body and lens separately unless i found a deal including the sigma 17-70mm, which is what i want.
To buy this lens used, and to buy a used body all for about £500 (maximum) what body options do i have?

Thanks for any help.

From Hong Kong (digitalrev) you're looking at at £220 for a sigma 17-70 leaving just 280 for a body which might just get you a D40.

They do a kit with a Nikon D80 plus Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF ED Lens at £464+£54 p&p which for a new camera and lens is quite a deal. It includes a bag, cleaning stuff etc etc.

The same deal with a D60 or D40x would save you money but you would end up being slightly limited on future lenses due to the lack of a focus motor.

I have bought nearly £3K worth of stuff from them and found them very quick and helpful. Also if you pay by bank transfer you will save another 2.5% which would just-about get the D80 into budget!

So you are just after a body and a 17-70?

Or what is 'everything I need'?

Filters? Cards? Batteries? Bag Tripod?

You should be able to pick up a 17-70 for sub 200...So i'd say your choices are 350D 400D 20D then maybe some Nikons...D50...D70??

I'm not sure how the spec between the 400D and 20D compare but i'd say the size of them is going to come into it so it may be worth feeling them...

*edit* my post revolves around used gear *edit*

Happened to ask on behalf of a friend yesterday, and Kerso is selling the 400D for £320 (body only) + £10 delivery. There is also a £40 cashback from Canon at the moment. And OSD are flogging the Sigma 17-70 for £204 delivered.

So that works out at £494... which is under your £500 budget!

But the of course there is the small matter of memory cards and a bag to store it all in. Amazon have pretty good deals on memory...

Hi,

For that kind of money you could get a Canon 30D body and the Sigma 17-70 second hand too, or within a few £ anyway, Condyk ( Forum Member - I have bought from him twice before and is a top seller ) is selling that lens HERE for £165 including postage and paypal fees and all the 30D's for sale lately have been going for about £350.

Mike.

Have to echo Mikeyb here, that is a superb price for the 17-70 which is an awesome lens.

Second hand is the way forward.

Cheers,
James

MPB Photographic have some decent quality 20D's - I bought myself one yesterday for £269 - pretty much mint condition. Worth a try - they seem to be pretty straight and honest regarding the condition of their stock too.

Yep, the Zukio lenses are superb. You can get some cracking deals on Olympus and they really are worth a look.

MPB Photographic have some decent quality 20D's - I bought myself one yesterday for £269 - pretty much mint condition. Worth a try - they seem to be pretty straight and honest regarding the condition of their stock too.

The 20d is £1300 on amazon, but only £269 from that website? Seems like a tremendous price gap. I havnt even seen 400d's go for that low.

The 20d does certainly interest me if i can get it £1000 cheaper than the new price...

you can't even buy the 20d new any more it has been superseeded twice.

by the 30d and 40d!!!

my 400d was 325 brand new if that helps you at all, i would imagine you can get it cheaper with the 450d out ...

Looking for at least a 400d...

How is the 400d compared to the 20d?

I found some 20d's online for a price i couldnt really believe compared to what they are new on amazon...

Amazon's price is very old. The 20Ds on that site are the correct price, are used but that's about the going rate. That's what I'd suggest.

Hi there,

I'd also recommend Kerso of ebay, I've ordered a Canon 17-55mm F2.8 outwith ebay from him and he provided an excellent service, excellent price, very good at responding to emails etc. I could get you his email address if you like.

I've also noticed a few used 30D's (body only) on ebay for under £400 which is a very good buy IMO. The 30D despite having less MP than the 400D, more than makes up for it in features as you probably know. Here's a link to one I found: Click here.

Hope this helps,

Craig. :)

The 30D is certainly an excellent camera - it's what I have as my main body - the 20D is back-up. The only real differences between the two are the screen size (1.8" on the 20D, 2.5" on the 30D), the 30D has spot metering while the 20D is without it, and there is slightly more adjustment on the ISO settings on the 30D which is useful if you work a lot in low light. Other than that they are effectively the same camera.

Hi there,

I'd also recommend Kerso of ebay, I've ordered a Canon 17-55mm F2.8 outwith ebay from him and he provided an excellent service, excellent price, very good at responding to emails etc. I could get you his email address if you like.

I've also noticed a few used 30D's (body only) on ebay for under £400 which is a very good buy IMO. The 30D despite having less MP than the 400D, more than makes up for it in features as you probably know. Here's a link to one I found: Click here.

Hope this helps,

Craig. :)

Looks like an ideal deal.
Is the 30D 'better' than the 400d? It does seem to be more expensive.

The 30D is better is a lot of aspects over the 400D and overall a better built camera (metal frame) from what I have read other users say. The 30D also has spot metering, better ergonomics (fits in hand better) and better performance at higher ISO's. It all depends on your needs and level of experience though, the 400D might suit your needs.

I can only speak personally of the 400D, I have never had a shot of a 30D. If I could have afforded the 30D I would have got it. Just have a look at the different reviews of the cameras on dpreivew, ephotozine etc.

Regards,
Craig.:)

:)hey,

although i have little experiance with any of these cameras, from spending a couple of months reserching my recent 40d purchase:love:, i would say, value for money, 30d is incredible at the moment.
i was lucky enough to get to spend a day with my friends, and if i didnt have a bit of spare cash laying around, i would have got it over the 40d.
im by no means saying, dont look at others, but on the second hand market, give the 30d a look, its a great camera and wont disapoint, (y)
hope this helps:)

nathan

I have a 30D as my main camera and a 400D with grip as backup. Out of the two camera's I prefer the 30D, it just feels right. The London Camera Exchange are currently selling a 30D with 18-55 IS lens for £449.00 but I'm sure you can get them cheaper than that.

i've had a 30d for a year now, and its been completely solid. the picture quality is very good but its not 'excellent'. Certainly better than the 350/400d. Think i'll be getting a 5d (or its upgrade :p) later this year. :)

just as a side note you can get a 40d (body only) for under £500, and minus 3% discount ontop of that if you pay by cheque from Martins camera shop. bargain.

just as a side note you can get a 40d (body only) for under £500, and minus 3% discount ontop of that if you pay by cheque from Martins camera shop. bargain.

quickie question: Whos this Martin and where I can find his shop ;)

Back