Formby Point Red Squirrel

SimonTALM

Linford Christie
Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
As I had the weekend free and a new (to me) D200 and 80-200 f2.8 that deserved an outing I went out to Formby point to see what I could shoot. Just thought I'd share a few pics.

C&C welcome

2304452325_44e2c0b0e5_o.jpg

2305248638_0e85f97eed_o.jpg

2304452749_bc9a0d59a2_o.jpg

Number 1 & 3 very nice shots (y)
Number 3 (sorry2) is too soft may be oof a little :shrug:

Quick little blighters, looks like you had a good day to catch them in action.

Number 1 & 3 very nice shots (y)
Number 3 is too soft may be oof a little :shrug:

Quick little blighters, looks like you had a good day to catch them in action.

Cheers (y)

I presume you mean Number 2 is OOF I think you could be right (though looking closely again 3 may be a bit OOF too) :bang:

Hi very nice shots no 1 is great nice pose too
Pete

Lovely shots - it looks like #2 is focused on the foreground

The way the light catches fur on #1 and #3 really brings out the colour (correct colour) of the squirrel. Number 1 gets the nod though for me, maybe a wee bit of usm though just to bring out the fur texture a little more though. What time of day was it taken, seems very warm in colour, perhaps it's just the squirrel.

Glad you got out and about :) Where abouts is Formby Point?

Do you know Formby at all?
If you go down Victoria Road to the very bottom you get to the Nature reserve and the squidgers are in the woods there.

Great shots. Number one is probably my favourite, as it's a good shot and is also very cute. Love them all though.

Do you know Formby at all?
If you go down Victoria Road to the very bottom you get to the Nature reserve and the squidgers are in the woods there.

Dont know Formby at all :shake:

Had a look on tinterweb though and looks like its near southport?

I'll have to get myself down there when my 70-300mm comes this week :D

Coming by train or car?

It is just south of Southport, there is a train station there (about 700m away) and it's very easy to get to by car, if you aren't a National Trust member then the car park costs about £4.00, I'd get there in the morning as after lunch it gets quite busy.

If you are using the Sigma 70-300 in your sig. I would make sure it's a sunny day it can be a bit dark in the woods and you'll need to up the ISO a fair bit, I had to up mine a fair bit (varying between ISO640 and ISO1000) to get a decent shutter speed. There are also alot more about during the summer months - I only saw 3 different squirrels and all of those were in a single quite area just off the main paths.

Take some hazlenuts to tempt them out, it's more natural than their preferred monkey nuts.

They can get very close, at times they were too close to actually take a photograph.

1st shot is my favourite, he looks so delicate & cute ... and red!
I went last Thursday, and was surprised how brown some of them look rather than red at this time of year (more like your 2nd pic).

I took both hazelnuts & monkeynuts ... they werent remotely interested in the hazelnuts (waste of £2 tbh!).
I didnt get there until 2.00pm and it was very quiet (though I hear weekends are a nightmare).

I got talking to a lady there who has been visiting since before it was National Trust, she told me not to bother with the Hazelnuts too, she also said that since the place has become more popular she has found the squidgers more around the edges than anything else.
The car park was £3.50 & if you run out of nuts they sell small quantities at the kiosk.
Dont forget to look out for the fox, I missed him this time but he usually hangs around the car park area.

Back