Scotland Fort William Area

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all hopefully this is the correct location, I have various week's booked off this year (2nd Week of April, Last week of May, 2nd and last Week of August) and am looking for advice of places to visit / stay with general holiday and photography opportunities. I did want to stay in a cottage that I had seen on here where someone had stayed on a loch where pine martins would eat on the window ledges but its fully booked up. Ideally opportunity to see Sea Eagles and possibly a drive through the mountains too but really am open to suggestions based on dates above. I have family in Lochwinnoch just West of Glasgow so would probably stop off on way through

Any suggestions with links to accommodation for my wife and myself would be appreciated

Would suggest somewhere around Glencoe- Fort William area. Loads of photo opportunities round there. Depending on how much driving you want to do:
  • Glencoe itself- very scenic (although a bit busy sometimes)- some very photographed areas such as the mountain Buachaille Etive Mor.
  • Glen Etive/ Loch Etive
  • Loch Leven and Kinlochleven
  • Glen Nevis (up to Steall waterfall/ meadows)- very nice walking in this area too). Ben Nevis, Carn Mor Dearg and other mountains.
  • Mamores
  • Nice route down towards Oban, including the famous Castle Stalker- worth a photo.
  • Glenfinnan- nice loch and mountains around here plus the viaduct made famous partly due to Harry Potter.
  • Mallaig/ Arasaig (getting further away now).
  • Loch Sunart, Ardnamurchan (some nice areas along this peninsula- Castle Tioram for instance).

Alternatively:
  • Perthshire is nice- would recommend somewhere in the Loch Tay area (Ben Lawers, Killin, Meall nan Tarmachan, etc.) or the Pitlochry area (plenty of photo opportunities near here too!)
  • Further north- Skye or Ullapool perhaps? Plenty of landscape photography around here! Skye is absolutely stunning (Cuillin mountains, Fairy Pools, Old Man of Storr, the Quiraing) and Ullapool is a good base for visiting the North West (possible to get up as far as the North coast on a day trip, for example).
That list is mostly in terms of landscape photography but there is plenty of wildlife about- hopefully given you a few ideas though!

Thank you Tom that's an excellent insight really appreciated

Hi Adamsi,
The cairngorm area has some great wildlife and scenic opportunities, then I would say that as I live in Aviemore, lots of different wildlife specific to this area and its a short drive to anywhere in the Highlands and Islands.
Gordon.
ww w . aviemoreospreys.co.uk

Duror, near Glen Coe at Keil Cottage (I think that's the name of the cottage. Nice people who own it. The cottage is RIGHT next to the sea. Plenty of walks and wildlife.

Also

Ellary.com

We all booked up and paid today, Keil was Friday change over only :( we booked a chalet just outside Fort William overlooking loch Eil and now very excited!

Thanks everyone again for feedback it's almost here and cannot wait! we travel up Saturday the 7 nights just outside fort william on the loch :) have the big five safari booked for Wednesday and various days out during the week, any more input would be appreciated and I don't mind driving upto 3hrs each way (ideally less but if it's worth the drive we will do it :) )

Forgot to say ill taking my nikon d7100, 12-24 f4, 24-70 2.8, 80-400G so hopefully have all bases covered for both wildlife and the landscape :)

Back