Critique Fountains Abbey

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Here is a shot which I took recently at Fountains abbey. A lovely place, just wish he weather was better so I could get some nicer exterior shots. This shot is pushing the ISO of my K5II.

Fountains Abbey
by pjwebbs, on Flickr

What do you think?

Great one point perspective, simple, uncluttered, black and white suits it well, a great shot.

On a personal note I may prefer the figure a bit closer but that's just me!

I love cloisters shots - there are some blown areas and a bit of distortion but I like it and would be going back again :)

I love cloisters shots - there are some blown areas and a bit of distortion but I like it and would be going back again :)

I'm not sure these are cloisters. I haven't been to Fountains yet but I think I've seen these in some of my books, and they were described as an undercroft, probably used for storage and dormitory accommodation.

I enjoy visiting the abbeys, and ruined castles, photographically and for their sense of history. They must have been quite something to see in their heyday, before the Tudor vandal destroyed them.

The B & W treatment works well, but there is a bit of distortion as Gramps said. That could be adjusted in post processing if you want to, but I'm afraid the blown areas are lost. Not serious though. Please post some more shots if you go back, maybe in the summer?

I'm not sure these are cloisters.

It's actually the Monk's Refrectory, but I refer to this type of arched-ceiling corridor/room as 'cloisters' in a generic sense. :)

It's actually the Monk's Refrectory, but I refer to this type of arched-ceiling corridor/room as 'cloisters' in a generic sense. :)

OK, thanks for that. I can see the resemblance to cloisters, but I haven't got access to my books right now, and I just - sort of - remembered seeing this before.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a 1 degree clockwise rotation to straighten things up. Other than that, my main concern is the figure. I personally find the posture and the bag or case held a little distracting, and given the position in the frame the figure and what he/she is doing become my main interest. There's always a fine line between an environmental portrait and a landscape/architectureal photograph with a figure, and in this case the balance for me has tipped to the personal interest rather than the building.

You might consider a crop on the right hand side to remove the lighter inner stonework of the window, as the lighter area here diverts attention away from the centre. The only really lioght area I'd like to see toned down a little is that on the left hand side of the corridor.

I like the way the beam of light from the end spreads out across the ceiling.

Back