Fox Hunting

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I've crossed-referenced what I originally read with other sources and the timeline between the offence(s) taking place and court is very long. Then I realised that the justice system has all but collapsed . Anyway, here's this other case I read about.

This latest prosecution was for filling in badger setts prior to a "trail hunt" with the obvious intention of depriving foxes, that were being chased, of a bolt hole. This time it involves the Wynnstay Hunt ,which rides on the borders with North Wales. ie..Cheshire, Shropshire and Flintshire and the hunt master is Lord Daresbury who is also a director of the Countryside Alliance. He's a friend of King Charles (they've been skiing together) who used to ride with the hunt. Infact, on one hunt in 1998 Charles fell off his horse and fractured a rib .Obviously, there was no ban then..He is said to have described fox hunting as "romantic" and lobbied, by way of private letters, Tony Blair in an effort to have the ban overturned . In 2002 he told a private gathering...: “If the Labour government ever gets around to banning fox hunting, I might as well leave this country and spend the rest of my life skiing.” I see he's still here .

Two employees of the Wynnstay Hunt were filmed filling in badger setts just a ten minute drive from the home of Lord Dareesbury , near Malpas, N.Wales. As most on here will appreciate, this illegal activity not only stops foxes running to ground but risks killing badgers by suffocation. Young badger cubs, born underground in winter, do not emerge until Spring and would need a free flow of air. The penalty is up to six months imprisonment and an unlimited fine. .Initially, it was an ecologist who confronted the two men who ran away so he and some like-minded friends set up a plan to catch these people. They set up date/time stamped cameras monitoring undisturbed badger setts at 12.53pm on Friday February 3rd and shortly afterwards the setts were filled in. The two men who carried out the filling were confronted and got away on a quad bike at the same time trying to hide their faces. The following day a "trail hunt" was due to take place..However they were identified and police caught up with them.The ecologist said sett-blocking was going on more than once a month and always prioir to a trail hunt. A trail hunt does not require badger setts to be blocked. In October last year an employee of the Wynnstay Hunt was fined £1000 for interfering with badger setts on a farm where a hunt was going to take place.

The two in question..Jamie Barnes (41) and Ben Lloyd Davies (33) appeared at Wrexham Magistrates Court and both men fined £1,000 and each ordered to pay costs of £600, following a prosecution brought by the RSPCA.The account differs from the one involving the ecologist, though but involve the same two men.
‌‌‌‍‌‌‌‌‌‍‌‌‌‌‍‌‌‌‌‌‌‍‌‌‌‌‌https://www.wrexham.com/news/fines-...ctive-badger-sett-on-wrexham-farm-225885.html

This next offence took place on the 3rd of February ..ie last month. Different offenders but same hunt. They won't have appeared in court,yet

This hunt has form. https://network23.org/northwaleshuntsabs/2022/02/10/the-wynnstay-hunt-blatantly-hunt-foxes/

Footage from November 22nd last year. The person who took the footage was afraid of repercussions from the hunt so withdrew as a witness...seemingly on the day of the trial. Was the person who filmed it approached by someone associated with the hunt in the court foyer ?

From the article: "It seems the trial didn’t stop Woodward from carrying on as normal, though. Just four days after the trial, Cheshire Monitors said the Wynnstay Hunt killed a fox in front of its members. And on 29 November, a week after the trial, North Wales Hunt Saboteurs reported that Woodward hunted a fox in front of police. And a month earlier, on 20 October during cubbing season, Cheshire Monitors said the hunt killed a fox near Ellesmere, Shropshire. The Wynnstay Hunt is also linked to two men convicted of digging out an active badger sett in August 2021".

See them around our area all the time, there are four hunts around Dartmoor.
They are untouchable or at least act like it, probably due to having the right friends in the the right places (Avonvale Hunt has serving Police officers who ride with them) and Jacob Rees Mogg hosted a hunt on his land this weekend I believe.
If these hunts are all legally trail hunting then why do they have terrier men with them?

Bunch of scumbags in my opinion, The Fox hunting ban is being flouted by most of them, I see them quite regularly near me and they always have a Terrier man with them . I'm not sure why you would need terriers for with trail hunting. Unfortunately the game keepers have a bad reputation as well just look at some of the RSPB'S stings.

Thanks for sharing John that’s in my local area , I had no idea that was going on :(
that’s awful and as you say those that do it are untouchable

Thanks for sharing John that’s in my local area , I had no idea that was going on :(
that’s awful and as you say those that do it are untouchable

Sorry for late 'like', Pete. I sometimes forget to go back to a post to see if there are replies that didn't have an alert which is fair enough because some posts..especially mine...lol.. can be a tad long and therefore aren't 'quoted' activating an alert.

Anyway...just about to post another report on the subject.

Back