Foxes - to feed or not to feed

R

RobbieW

Hi Peoples,

I have just been standing at my kitchen window watching some fox cubs (maybe the wrong name for baby foxes).

After watching them play I am thinking maybe it would be a good photo opportunity. The problem I have is that I didn't see an adult fox, although I know one was in the area a few months ago. So do I try to feed them to encourage them to come back? if so what do I feed them? I don't want them to become dependant on human help, and how close should I attempt to go.

I am very worried about scaring them away from their natural habitat, and likewise I don't want them to become too used to humans either.

Any tips would be good (so would a 100-400mm lens (y))

Thanks

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as its been ignored so far, I shall venture a personal opinion.

You have to bear in mind my cat was killed by an urban fox a less than a month ago, so my opinion maybe askew to general advice, though not by much I think.

There are, as I see it, two schools of thought. To feed them is to encourage them and many see foxes as vermin, pests, that should be treated as such - Mr LL would happily shoot any that appear in our neighbourhood atm if only anyone was mad enough to let him loose with a gun. On the other hand, many like them, and there is an argument to say that by feeding them, you are helping local pets by making sure they are less hungry and therefore less likely to go for rabbits, small dogs, cats, etc and we shoudl remember that it it us that have teken over their natural habitat and forced them into living in our gardens. So far I have failed to find any conclusive evidence to back either argument. I still find it difficult, despite recent experiences, to be totally anti-urban fox - one has to admire their adaptabilty and willingness to live so close by the human predator. I also know several rural friends and can fully understand their anti-fox stance - a cousin recently lost all her baby ducks to a fox. Nature can be a cruel mother.

So, if you choose to take the 'feed them' option, what do you feed? Foxes are naturally expert scavengers, the contents of dustbins and compost heaps are what they live on when their natural prey is unavailable and they are naturally carnivores. So I suppose dog/cat meat is as good a starting point as any. :shrug:

Not sure how much help this is to you Rob, choice is ultimately yours ;)

The adult fox will be close by keeping an eye on them, I watched four cubs playing across the road from me and I was getting concerned for them as they were venturing onto the tarmac, the moment I went to persuade them off the road the vixen fox appeared and barked at me as she led them away to safety.

I have since found their lair, and they are safe where they are as I own the woods which has a stream running through it and allow no one else to enter as it also plays host to deer, woodpeckers, Kingfisher and also the occasional otter, the mink are long gone.

Last edited:
We always feed the foxes. We give it scraps of meat and left over chinese take away. Saying that our fox (if i can say that) lives in the woods and isnt urban!

I have lost many ducks, and hens to the fox, heartbreaking really as he will sometimes kill as many as possible in the strike and only take one away with him after the slaughter.
I love the countryside and all the wildlife it supports and accepted the occasional domestic loss to the wily fox until the rats got the better of me and decided to stop keeping poultry.
I say give it a go and encourage them by feeding them scraps, good luck and I hope you get some shots.
If I had the time and patience I could possibly get some great shots from outside their lair but I have neither.

Back