Foxhills MX, Swindon

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
OK this is an amazing MX track. The raced there as a one off and I'm really hoping they return there one day.
2 and half hours to get there but once there I love every minute.
Anyways, heres a few from the day.
foxhills290608_vmx_img_1931.jpg

foxhills290608_autos_img_1622.jpg

foxhills290608_vmx_img_2010.jpg

foxhills290608_amxvisits_img_1800.jpg

Its the Brit MX championship there in a couple of weeks... hope to be there to see that :D

#1 of your pics is nice - leaping shot but with ground reference, definition in the sky and the rider looking at you (as the final icing on the cake!)

#2 The Mekon returns to menace Dan Dare once more? Sorry :D

#3 Is ok technically, just not terribly interesting.

#4 Not a bad shot but over exposed - that is the trouble with fully manual....

Blimey I live in Swindon and didn't even know about this - where's the track?

Edit: found it:
Foxhill info
Directions

* Foxhill is situated 4 miles west of Swindon on the minor road between Baydon and Wanborough, just to the north of the M4 Motorway. From the M4 at Junction 15 follow the A419 towards Swindon, at the first exit turn right onto B4192 to Aldebourne. After 2 miles turn left at Liddington Cross Roads towards Baydon. After 1 mile you reach a crossroads by the Shepherds Rest Public House, turn left and the track is half mile on the right hand side.

History

* Foxhill Moto Park has been established as a major Moto Cross venue since 1983, 25 years ago, during which time it has played host to events at every level of the sport. With riders of all grades, from Youth, through amateur Adult club levels, to Classic and full on Professional World Championship rounds for individual and team glory, each learning to cope with the unique demands of one of the Worlds’ toughest and most respected MX tracks. Termed only recently in T&M X News, as the “Fields of Dreams”, with perhaps the finest accolade of all pronounced by no other than, multi World Champion Stefen Everts as having an atmosphere on race days as, “Second to None”. From its early beginnings with the Thamesdown MCC, each and everyone, competitor and spectator alike, the potential has been obvious. Each and every following lease holder, including the BSMA most recently, having added something to that potential. But it is our belief that the “Best is yet to come”. During 2008, and onward the amenity will be further developed and improved, the eventual aim being to provide a country park style facility that will just happen to have the United Kingdoms finest Moto Cross circuit within its bounds.

Last edited:
They are great shots, I have just been looking at the side car mx ones, thats some crazy sport!
I get my dates from this site http://www.strhonda.com/

My god son rides for them when he isnt injured! got a bad knee at the moment out for the rest of the season.
hope it helps you not to miss a meeting,
cas

cheers gus for your comments..
am still learning alot about shooting MX and am trying to get out of my comfort zone and get some more daring shots.
Am looking for a wide angled lens but only have about £150 to spend :(

Trev, I would hold out buying a wide angle (e.g. 10-20 territory) for motocross. It has its uses but reckon that 18-120 range is probably all you'd ever need for most MX, plus maybe something longer for head on shots.

Gribbsy is bang on with that - I've seen a few wide angles that work in particular situations but by far and away you need something in the "medium" range.

There is that new Canon EF 50-255 (??) IS lens that I think would be a good budget MX tool. Looks as good as the longer 70-300 IS that I use but obviously a slight variation on length. Cheap(ish) too!

Nice set Trev. Sharp, colourful, good panning and action.

Love #1 with the guy just so showing off looking at the camera.

Gribbsy is bang on with that - I've seen a few wide angles that work in particular situations but by far and away you need something in the "medium" range.

There is that new Canon EF 50-255 (??) IS lens that I think would be a good budget MX tool. Looks as good as the longer 70-300 IS that I use but obviously a slight variation on length. Cheap(ish) too!

cheers... have had a quick scan for the lens but havent found it yet... any idea on the price?

I've just found this lens.. http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1010263 anyone had any experience with it? looks like it'll cover the focal range I need... 70mm bottom end means I miss a lot as I can get so close.

(y) Freester... answer your Pm mate... have a proposition you may be interested in...

Trev, I've PM'd you. Haven't received a PM from you for a couple of weeks so a little concerned there are some gremlins in the system. Let me know you got the PM I sent today.

Having read this i was thinking of heading up there this weekend, typed 'Foxhills Swindon' and TP is in the top ten :D

*edit*
Assuming they have practice days and an open track

Last edited:
Love the last shot. Background blur spot on and makes the image look almost 3D.

55-250mm £156 at www.onestop-digital.com

Paul

Tell me more!!!

sorry bit late olny just had another look on here !! there is a evening motocross series in rhayder! the tracj is called cymthig hill and gordon crokard nd few other stars always show up to race!! the last race was this wednesday but it was so wet i ddnt get a good picture at all :bang: but next year will be great!!

thanks mate.. might consider that one.

Hi
I will be at this event (never shot MX before) and will have a Sigma 28/300mm macro zoom with me if you would care to try it. I have been using it for a bit and gradually became more and more disapointed with it. The Sigma 175 to 500mm is a much better lens but a bit slow so it depends on the light. But you are welcome to try it if you like. I have moved to a Canon 70 to 200mm f2.8 USM IS now and am deeply in love. You will doubless recognise me ... I have a big camera bag and the beard.

John

Hi
I will be at this event (never shot MX before) and will have a Sigma 28/300mm macro zoom with me if you would care to try it. I have been using it for a bit and gradually became more and more disapointed with it. The Sigma 175 to 500mm is a much better lens but a bit slow so it depends on the light. But you are welcome to try it if you like. I have moved to a Canon 70 to 200mm f2.8 USM IS now and am deeply in love. You will doubless recognise me ... I have a big camera bag and the beard.

John

Hi John!
Thats very kind of you!
problem is, Portsmouth MX rarely go to Foxhills, shame as its an awesome track!
But thank your for your offer (y)

Hi John!
Thats very kind of you!
problem is, Portsmouth MX rarely go to Foxhills, shame as its an awesome track!
But thank your for your offer (y)

Sorry didn't realise ... The last time I attended this sort of event they called it scrambling. The rider I watched most was (I think British Champion) called Brian 'Badger' Goss (or something close to that). Shows how long ago it was. That was at the Tweeseldown track near Aldershot so I am looking forward to this day, and the chance of some decent images.

Cheers
John

Sorry didn't realise ... The last time I attended this sort of event they called it scrambling. The rider I watched most was (I think British Champion) called Brian 'Badger' Goss (or something close to that). Shows how long ago it was. That was at the Tweeseldown track near Aldershot so I am looking forward to this day, and the chance of some decent images.

Cheers
John

Bloody hell mate that was a blast from the past. I remember that name - my old man used to race him back in the early 70s. I actually know his nephew - he's married to a friend of my wife. Small world and all that...

Cheers
John

If you go to foxhills.. and dont have free access.. go round to the left.. all teh way round the back of the track.. Probably your best bet for some good pix.
To the left on your way.. theres a huge jump too.

nice pics dad and i like the first 1 because he is looking at you, the rest are nice and sharp

Back